Menu
liviublidar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Speeds under 1Mb/s on 2.4Ghz while 5Ghz works perfect

Hi Community,

I am having terribly slow speeds on the 2.4Ghz connection while everything on the 5Ghz works fine. This issue seems to be disappearing after changing the wi-fi channels but this only solves it for about 10-15 minutes. The issue also seems to be disappearing from time to time but always comes back. After numerous calls to the Virgin Media tech support that completely ignored my issue and sometimes reset my channels to fix the issue for that time being,  lied saying they are transferring me to the manager but instead put me on hold with no answer, I said that I am going to try my luck by asking here as this board seems more qualified than any other virgin media employees I've spoken with.

I have also contacted Virgin media gadget rescue that ran some tests on my device that is stuck on 2.4ghz and said there is nothing wrong with the device. That device also has no issue while it is connected to another network, only while connected to my Virgin media Hub 3.0.

I am now hoping that someone from this board can provide a little bit of insight on this. Thanks in advance guys and I really appreciate any thoughts on it.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speeds under 1Mb/s on 2.4Ghz while 5Ghz works perfect

Yes - WiFi pollution as you perfectly put it.  There is absolutely no way of managing the issue with certainty.  The diagram below shows the frequency overlaps.  Channels 1, 6 & 11 don't overlap with each other and the hubs are programmed to select the least busy such channel when you reboot that hub and if the setting is AUTO.  All common routers behave in this way.

If any bozo at offshore support changes you to, say, channel 8, you'll be in contention with anybody on channel 6 & channel 11.  And so on.

How can you begin to manage anything?  An app such as NETANALYZER (no goo on iPhone/IPad) will display all the SSIDs, their channels and signal strength as seen at the place where you are standing with the App running.  That will at least scope the challenge for you.

Wireless Freqs.gif

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

liviublidar wrote:
That explains a few things but also raises a couple of questions:

Related to fixing the issue:
1.Would buying one of those usb wifi adapters that support 5Ghz allow me to connnect to the 5Ghz network? Or since my laptop is stuck to 2.4ghz will always be stuck like that?
[SEPH]:  I have exactly that setup on one of my laptops.  An ASUS USB-AC56 adapter; the onboard adapter is disabled.

2. Will changing the router position diminish the 'overlapling'?
[SEPH]:  Not in my opinion.  Such changes are usually marginal unless you can be certain that the congestion comes from a single direction only.  You could, instead, acquire Powerline adapters and connect your laptop in a different room by Ethernet.

3. Can Virgin Media provide any help with this or is it not their job to do it?
[SEPH]:  They will be of no help unless the 2.4GHz radio in your hub is faulty.  Their job is to provide broadband to the hub as measured at an Ethernet socket; and to provide a hub that is not faulty.

Now just plain curiosity:
1. Why is the hotspot created by my phone not affected? Does it use an unaffected frequency? If so can I set my hub to transmit on the same 'channel' as my phone?
[SEPH]:  Are you saying that if you connect by WiFi on 2.4GHz to a radio offered by your phone, then things are good?  Or is it that the phone connects to the hub 0n 5GHz and your laptop connects to the phone on 2.4GHz?  I'm not 100% certain that tethering is that smart, but it ought to be.  So then you have an explanation and there is nothing you need do on the laptop.

2. Why is the upload speed unaffected?
[SEPH]:  Because the scongestion tress is usually on the downstream.

Thanks for the reply. It's really good to have been given a pertinent 'diagnosis' finally.

Edit: i've been using that app with no success. It provides a recommended channel for my network. I'm switching to that and problem still comes back.   [SEPH]:  I use that app on an Android tablet and it lists all the SSIDs ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.techet.netanalyzerlite.an&hl=en_ ).   Also inSSIDer does the same and wil run on a laptop.

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You say the device works fine when connected to another network. Is that another network at your home?

The usual reason for this issue is channel use by neighbours. The 2.4ghz spectrum has overlapping frequencies and when you change channels, if you are lucky, there is temporary relief until neighbours, in the same biat, switch channels too. And it doesn't need to be the same channel for it to cause problems.

liviublidar
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick response.

Other networks that are not in my home. I only have that one virgin media router that airs wifi.

So wifi 'pollution' I assume. I am then presuming that I'm not the first one to have this issue. Is there anything to be done to manage that issue? Or we just take it as it is and accept there's nothing to be done about it?

Edit: I have now created a hotspot with my phone and speed is good. So only while connected to the virgin media hub the speeds go slow. Also the upload speed is unaffected. It is only the download speed tha goes slow.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes - WiFi pollution as you perfectly put it.  There is absolutely no way of managing the issue with certainty.  The diagram below shows the frequency overlaps.  Channels 1, 6 & 11 don't overlap with each other and the hubs are programmed to select the least busy such channel when you reboot that hub and if the setting is AUTO.  All common routers behave in this way.

If any bozo at offshore support changes you to, say, channel 8, you'll be in contention with anybody on channel 6 & channel 11.  And so on.

How can you begin to manage anything?  An app such as NETANALYZER (no goo on iPhone/IPad) will display all the SSIDs, their channels and signal strength as seen at the place where you are standing with the App running.  That will at least scope the challenge for you.

Wireless Freqs.gif

liviublidar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1.Would buying one of those usb wifi adapters that support 5Ghz allow me to connnect to the 5Ghz network? Or since my laptop is stuck to 2.4ghz will always be stuck like that?

1. Why is the hotspot created by my phone not affected? Does it use an unaffected frequency? If so can I set my hub to transmit on the same 'channel' as my phone?

Thanks for the reply. It's really good to have been given a pertinent 'diagnosis' finally.

Edit: i've been using that app with no success. It provides a recommended channel for my network. I'm switching to that and problem still comes back.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

liviublidar wrote:

[SEPH]:  I have exactly that setup on one of my laptops.  An ASUS USB-AC56 adapter; the onboard adapter is disabled.

[SEPH]:  Not in my opinion.  Such changes are usually marginal unless you can be certain that the congestion comes from a single direction only.  You could, instead, acquire Powerline adapters and connect your laptop in a different room by Ethernet.

[SEPH]:  They will be of no help unless the 2.4GHz radio in your hub is faulty.  Their job is to provide broadband to the hub as measured at an Ethernet socket; and to provide a hub that is not faulty.

[SEPH]:  Are you saying that if you connect by WiFi on 2.4GHz to a radio offered by your phone, then things are good?  Or is it that the phone connects to the hub 0n 5GHz and your laptop connects to the phone on 2.4GHz?  I'm not 100% certain that tethering is that smart, but it ought to be.  So then you have an explanation and there is nothing you need do on the laptop.

[SEPH]:  Because the scongestion tress is usually on the downstream.

Edit: i've been using that app with no success. It provides a recommended channel for my network. I'm switching to that and problem still comes back.   [SEPH]:  I use that app on an Android tablet and it lists all the SSIDs ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.techet.netanalyzerlite.an&hl=en_ ).   Also inSSIDer does the same and wil run on a laptop.

liviublidar
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am now happily connected to the 5GHz network using an external USB adapter and download speeds are constant at 30Mb/s which is not bad at all compared to the old ones...

To answer Sephiroth's question, I was tethering from my mobile data plan (LTE) and not from the wi-fi. I've tried tethering with my other laptop from 5GHz to 2.4GHz but switching frequencies doesn't seem to be a simple thing to do. One curiosity left and that's about it: why was my tethered connection (the one from my phone) not affected by the other overlapping channels while every channel from the Virgin media hub was?

Thanks for your insight on this Sephiroth. Too bad that so many different persons from Virgin Media Tech Support  and an one of their engineers combined don't have even half your knowledge. I can understand that it was not their issue to fix but they could have provided some advice.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

liviublidar wrote:

I am now happily connected to the 5GHz network using an external USB adapter and download speeds are constant at 30Mb/s which is not bad at all compared to the old ones...

To answer Sephiroth's question, I was tethering from my mobile data plan (LTE) and not from the wi-fi. I've tried tethering with my other laptop from 5GHz to 2.4GHz but switching frequencies doesn't seem to be a simple thing to do. One curiosity left and that's about it: why was my tethered connection (the one from my phone) not affected by the other overlapping channels while every channel from the Virgin media hub was?   [SEPH]: It's possibly a location thing.  If so, the Hub is likely to be in a position that picks up nearby pollution whereas the phone, radiating its 2.4Ghz is flat on a couch or table and not seeing the pollution; at the same time you are close to the phone.  Sort of thing.

Thanks for your insight on this Sephiroth. Too bad that so many different persons from Virgin Media Tech Support  and an one of their engineers combined don't have even half your knowledge. I can understand that it was not their issue to fix but they could have provided some advice.   [SEPH]: I do this stuff for a living.  The call centre support people might have some IT qualifications (who knows) but they have no idea of how to support VM equipment other than what the script tells them.  Their so called field "engineers" are actually technicians and what they know about WiFi is likely to be what they've privately researched.

Anyway - glad you've got yourself sorted.

0 Kudos