Menu
archerboy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Speed Test location

Just done an VM upgrade and when I run a speed test now ookla thinks I'm in Manchester when I'm located in Hertfordshire. Previous speed tests, still with VM gave my correct location. Why is this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speed Test location

The upgrade process has probably assigned you a new WAN IP address.  They are rarely geographically accurate.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The location is based on where Virgin Media have the IP address registered again - In your case it must be Manchester.

No need to worry.  This won't have any affect on your speeds or access to any services.

Are you running your speed tests on wireless or a wired connection ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The upgrade process has probably assigned you a new WAN IP address.  They are rarely geographically accurate.

Electron
0 Kudos
archerboy
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

cheers for that Dave, had me confused and wondered whether this affects speed results, as upgrade should have increased but there is no change or worse!
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The location is based on where Virgin Media have the IP address registered again - In your case it must be Manchester.

No need to worry.  This won't have any affect on your speeds or access to any services.

Are you running your speed tests on wireless or a wired connection ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

archerboy wrote:
cheers for that Dave, had me confused and wondered whether this affects speed results, as upgrade should have increased but there is no change or worse!

You can check if your VM configuration really has assigned you a speed upgrade.  Enter the Hub's management by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser ... don't sign in but click on Router Status and look at the Operation Configuration and check the Downstream Max Traffic Rate ... that will tell which service speed you are on.

Electron
0 Kudos
archerboy
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers I'll do that, Just tried that but wants me to sign in. Can't see an option on page to check router status.

0 Kudos
archerboy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks, on a wireless so not expecting max speeds
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

archerboy wrote:

Cheers I'll do that, Just tried that but wants me to sign in. Can't see an option on page to check router status.

Oh right, you must have the Hub3 which I believe does require you to sign in the first time ... password will be on a label on the base of the hub.

Electron
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

What speeds were you achieving on wireless originally and since the upgrade ?

Are you able to also test the speeds on a wired connection ?

-

0 Kudos
archerboy
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I was getting around 60-100 when on the 100 service wirelessly but that was using an Asus router and only using the VM gear as a modem. After upgrade, and not using the Asus very variable but around 40-60 (upgraded to 200). Haven't check it wired yet. May go back to using the hub as a modem and Asus router if doesn't improve. Do have a tech coming on Tuesday though to sort out TV issues (again most likely weak signal issues).
cheers
0 Kudos