Menu
n151
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sonos speakers and BBC Radio HLS

I have a problem with BBC R4 on the Sonos speakers using the Tune-in app. The playback frequently drop-outs for several seconds each minute or so before resuming. The fault has been around for around 10 days.

Sonos Support advised they are aware of the issue, are looking for solutions, and say it is exclusive to those who use Virgin Media as their ISP.

Is VM aware of the issue and, if so, is it being addressed?

I have no issues with internet radio on laptop, mobile phone or Revo Superconnect.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sonos speakers and BBC Radio HLS

Hi N151,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are not aware (as far as I can tell) with a known issue with Sonos Tune-in app.

I've searched around and it would seem that this also affects customers of another ISP.

Sonos are investigating with the BBC and in the meantime the information provided in this link should help.

Keep me updated though. If help is needed from VM then I'm sure Sonos will be in touch but I'll be happy to help if I can.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
n151
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Jen.

I contributed to the thread in the link. As you say, the issue is no longer viewed as VM specific but is not reported to apply to all ISPs.

In my experience, the BBC/Sonos problem appears solely to be down to the Limelight CDN used by Tune-in. I have taken the advice of other contributors to that thread and manually added the Akamai CDN as the source for BBC Radio audio.

Since the change, I have experienced no further issues with sound drop out on the Sonos.

0 Kudos
Daveknight25
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I've been having this issue for over 5 years with intermittent internet and for some reason very broken radio stream specifically with BBC. It is currently terrible and driving me mad as it's impossible to hear a full song or news item without it breaking up. I've recorded it so have examples. I do understand this is a recognised issue. Please please please can you look into it and help! Thank you !
0 Kudos