Menu
Teflon_2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Smart TV slow internet via ethernet

Any network buffs around?

Current setup is a VM super hub 2 in modem mode, supplying 150mbs to a Cisco Linsys E3000 modem. Speedtest.net on my PC reports between 140 - 160 mps via ethernet. My wifes old laptop reports similar speeds when connected via ethernet, so all good on that front. Smiley Happy

What's not so good though, is my 2 smart TVs and PS4 Pro. Each one, when connected direct to the ethernet cable that usually connects to my PC reports varying speeds, usually around 9 - 15 mbs and very occassionally up to around 70 mbps. I'm testing these with Speedtest.net using the same server (Bradford) that reports a regular 140 - 160 mps on the pc or laptop.

My question is: why the disparity? Is it a Virgin issue? (seems unlikely); a router configuration issue? (possible), or a hardware issue related to the PS4 and TV sets?

Any/all thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart TV slow internet via ethernet

I wouldnt rely on PS4 or SMART TV speedtests. 

Do a simple test. PLUG the SAME ethernet cable that is currently plugged into either the PS4 or SMART TV, into teh PC- speedtest now.

Everything fine? Its just the speedtest being inaccurate.

If however you get sub 100MB speeds all of a sudden on a PC speedtest, replace the Ethernet cable. CAT5E or better rated.

0 Kudos
Teflon_2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, I appreciate what you're saying. The thing that got me started on this though, was:

1) the PS4 pro takes an age to download any games (like 24 hrs plus!) even when connected to the router via cat 6 ethernet. This could, of course, just be an issue with the Sony servers.

2) When playing a 4K Youtube video on the "smart" TV, more often than not, the resolution peaks at 1080. Again, could be a Youtube server issue I guess, but the PC seldom has similar issues.

Just seems odd that PC and laptop perform excellent in terms of internet speed, but gaming console and TV much less so. I should add that this morning I tried connecting one of the "smart" TVs direct to the Superhub (in modem mode) via ethernet with no real improvement, which perhaps rules out router configuration issues. I'm wondering if smart TVs and gaming consoles are just generally poor performers when it come to the internet side of things. 

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You've already done the sort of tests/changes that I would have made so I don't really have any solution. Some thoughts...

The internet is filled with "why is my PS4 connection so slow?" type questions. Consensus seems to be that it's limited by game servers and the CDNs (content delivery networks) that Sony uses. Some suggestions that changing DNS to Google servers helps. Can't see why there would any benefit myself but it takes 2 minutes to try it and it's free.

You don't say which type of smart tv you've got. I gave up on the "smart" facilities of my TV and bought an Amazon Fire TV box. Has worked well. It's £80. There are loads of "Chinese" £30 android boxes that claim 4K support but I have no personal experience of them.  

0 Kudos
Teflon_2
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the reply. I should have said, I've switched the PS4 and both smart tv's over to the Google DNS address. Didn't make any noticeable difference to be honest, but certainly no worse. The TVs in question are a 46 inch Samsung F7000 and a 55 inch LG C6 OLED.

0 Kudos