Menu
richard6489
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed with hub 3 and nighthawk X10

Hi, 

I have a hub 3 with the vivid 350 optical fibre package set to modem mode and connected to a Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000.

Unfortunately I'm only getting around 40mb download:

Tested on various devices (laptop running ubuntu, mac, pc running windows 10 and an android phone)

Could someone please help me diagnose the problem and get the most out my service?

I'm reasonably tech savvy, but not a network engineer.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed with hub 3 and nighthawk X10

First of all I would test the internet connection with a gigabit ethernet adapter directly to the hub by CAT 5E or better etherney cable. I would do this with the hub still in momdem mode (you may need to reboot the hub)

0 Kudos
richard6489
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I have tested a few scenarios. 

1. Nighthawk connected to the hub via cat6a cable then a cat5 cable from the Nighthawk to pc - result 300mb/s download 20mb/s upload

2. cat6a cable connected to pc directly from hub in modem mode - result no connection

3. same as above with cat5 cable

4. cat6a cable connected to pc directly from hub in router mode - result 300mb/s download 20mb/s upload

5. same as above with cat5 cable

0 Kudos
richard6489
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The bottleneck seems to be wifi

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Diid you reboot the hub when connecting directly to the hub with the PC?  Doesn't matter now as the connection through the Nighthawk has been prooved.

What wireless devices are you using?

0 Kudos
richard6489
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean the devices I have tried to connect to the router from?

In that case that would be:

1. Dell xps-13
2. lenovo carbon-x1 (1st edition)
3. asus x552c pc
4. galaxy s7 edge
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not sure about the Asus x552 as the searches I made come up with a CL series laptop.

The other devices are MIMO AC devices which you should get full speed with at close range.

Are you connecting to the 5Ghz band?

Is it set to the full 1733Mbps?

Another thing you could look at is that no QoS features are enabled on the Nighthawk.

0 Kudos
richard6489
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I checked both 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections. The 2.4ghz mode was set to "up to 800mbps" and the 5ghz mode was set to "up to 1733mbps".

I checked that the dynamic QoS option was unchecked.

0 Kudos
richard6489
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So the plot thickens.

I thought I'd dig out an old router (ASUS RT-N66U) and try that one to see if there was an issue with the Netgear router.

The same problem occurs, Asus router connected directly to the hub (hub is set to modem mode).

1. Ethernet connection from asus router to asus laptop: download 300mbps upload 20mbps

2. Wireless connection to either asus laptop, galaxy s7, carbon x1 laptop, iMac, iphone5 or samsung galaxy s tab: download 20-40mbps upload 20mbps

So Then I decided to unplug the routers and factory reset the virgin media hub so that it was then back in router mode with the following results:

1. Ethernet connection directly from asus laptop to hub: download 300mbps upload 20mbps

2. Wireless connection to asus laptop, carbon x1, samsung galaxy s tab: download 40mbps upload: 20mbps

3. wireless connection to galaxy s7: download 300mbps upload 20mbps

The galaxy s7 appears to be the only device that can achieve a 300mbps wireless connection (but only when connected to the hub in router mode).

All of the devices were tested in the same room as the hub and routers within 1-2 meters away.  

Please help me, I'd really like to solve this

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would test the devices again with the Hub in modem mode and the 2.4Ghz network disabled, forcing  connection to the 5Ghz band with the Hub's 80Mhz channel enabled and set to 1.3Gbps.

It might be worth changing wireless channels trying to keep to the lower 5Ghz channels.

Are you using WPA2 with AES encryption? It might be worth testing with the wireless encryption temporarily turned off.

It would be worth disabling and re-enabling your devices wireless adapters and checking that the drivers are up to date according the adapter's manufacturer's website where possible.

0 Kudos