Menu
kev51773
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Slow ping times with Superhub 3

I just "upgraded" to the Superhub 3.0 today. After fighting with slow connection speeds for a while it eventually updated and now I get decent speed test results.

The ping times however, are a significant downgrade.

Ping times to the superhub from my PC using a CAT6 cable vary between 3ms-60ms. Probably averaging around 8ms. With my old superhub I could ping google in about this time.

In all my years in IT I have rarely seen a wired ping to router take more than 1ms and certainly never more than 2ms. That kind of latency is surely going to affect every aspect of my internet usage.

Is this normal?

Tags (1)

Helpful Answers
kev51773
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 65
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media's approach to new hardware releases

Okay, I'm the OP and I'm wondering why I'd have to play online games in order for VM to take my internal networking issue seriously.
Also, Why should peak times affect the speed of my internal network? Even if they did (which they don't) then that would still point to a serious issue with the router.
Also, although I've not used the think broadband BQM measure, I imagine that's an external test.
My tests were conducted using the standard Linux ping command over gigabit Ethernet directly to my router. The results are worse than I've ever seen going all the way back to 256kb/128kb ADSL routers at the beginning of time.

Just to clarify one more time. This is not a network congestion issue. It's a router hardware and/or firmware problem.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow ping times with Superhub 3

For the hub 3.0 it is one of the many outstanding issues with said hub. I tried to get the matter taken seriously, but those pleas fell on deaf ears. The high LAN side ping times are one of the many reasons I stopped using my hub 3.0.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
kev51773
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I was worried when I heard the Superhub 3.0 wasn't going to be manufactured by Netgear and it seems my fears were legitimate.
Feels like a very large backward step to me. I'd much rather them fix this issue than give me the speed upgrade as it would have a much more noticeable effect on normal day to day usage. I guess they'd rather concentrate on the numbers that look good in adverts.

Do you know if Virgin have any kind of bug filing system where customers can upvote/downvote issues? Or any other way to apply pressure?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 65
Flag for a moderator

kev51773 wrote:

Do you know if Virgin have any kind of bug filing system where customers can upvote/downvote issues? Or any other way to apply pressure?

Alas there is not such a thing and even trialists of the hub 3.0 like myself  have gone near-completely ignored from the start of the trials of the hub 3.0 by the team managing the firmware for it. Out of everything wrong reported with the hub, they only bothered to fix the UPNP issue. My personal view is that the hub 3.0 should not have gone on public release until all of the numerous known issues were resolved.

Edit: Added missed word

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
scoobyflew
Tuning in
Message 5 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Just spotted the horrendous ping times on my new SH3, what the hell are Virgin playing at?
If the local ping is rubbish how can the WAN be decent?

In all my years of working with TCP/IP, 26 years by the way, I have never seen such a constitantly poor local network ping.

Shocking that this unit made it past unit testing, let alone alpha, beta and into live.

Virgin PLEASE short this out, ot let me use my own cable modem!

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi scoobyflew, 

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004649457 for slow speeds at peak times. This is currently with the planning team so I don't have a lot of news on this currently we should have more news on this after 19/10/2016. 

I have popped the details across to the team that updates customers on these faults and they will contact you as soon as they can with more information. 

The rest of the connection looks ok from this side. Are you having slow speeds at all times of the day or only during certain times? Let us know as i would not like to miss anything that could be causing an issue. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kev51773
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Clearly nothing mentioned here is even slightly related to 'peak times'.
Everyone here is complaining about LAN side latency caused by the worst router in the entire history of networking. Nothing whatsoever to do with peak times. Unless of course you're talking about the times at which my LAN is busiest.
scoobyflew
Tuning in
Message 8 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma,
I'm afraid you've missed the point of this post.
This is only to do with ping delays on the internal network.
Cheers
Paul
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's approach to new hardware releases

Shelke wrote:
Alas there is not such a thing and even trialists of the hub 3.0 like myself  have gone near-completely ignored from the start of the trials of the hub 3.0 by the team managing the firmware for it. Out of everything wrong reported with the hub, they only bothered to fix the UPNP issue. My personal view is that the hub 3.0 should not have gone on public release until all of the numerous known issues were resolved

Interestingly, I could have written exactly the same at the end of the Super Hub 2 Trial. Yet, there are Hub 3 users who would give their hind teeth for a Super Hub 2 now. There was no representative from Netgear on the SH2 Trial; did anyone from Arris show up on the Hub 3 Trial?

The approach seems to be: "Buy new hardware, customise it to say "Virgin Media", fix the odd bug, then release it and spend 2 years slowly getting it to work properly. Smiley Frustrated

backslash2k4
Dialled in
Message 10 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media's approach to new hardware releases

I don't suppose this issue has had any headway?

0 Kudos