Menu
worksussex
Just joined
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Skype - lost internet connection with Virgin Media.'Skype can't connect' Why?

I am having difficulties on several computers (a Mac and a PC) using Virgin Media with a connection with Skype.

On the PC yesterday 21.1.2016 ,this gave a Skype page stating that I check the internet connection which was functioning.

I deleted then reinstalled the most recent version of Skype for Windows (using a Vista operating system on a PC) and the same problems exist.

I am also having a problem on a smartphone, having downloaded it from GooglePlay. However this may not concern Virgin Media as the phone runs on Vodafone and weblinks are rendered inoperative as , when you click  on the weblink in an email, it automatically switched to a BT Wifi page. Perhaps a local neighbour's  BT Wi-Fi router is blasting it out of the way).

Anyone recognise the Skype problem? Skype  is just not functioning on Virgin Media anymore for me.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Skype - lost internet connection with Virgin Media.'Skype can't connect' Why?

Hello worksussex,

Strange that Skype is no longer working for you, if you haven't done so already then clearing Internet Explorer Temp Files and checking you have the latest browser version may be worth a look at.

As an aside, I can also see you have an old legacy modem connected, If you give our customer service team a quick call on 150 from a Virgin line or on 0345 454 1111 we can arrange a free upgrade for you.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Dippndots
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Skype - lost internet connection with Virgin Media.'Skype can't connect' Why?

Hi, I'm currently experiencing the exact same problem you were. Did you ever get this resolved?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dippndots,

Thanks for posting back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to read you are also having issues with Skype.

Just for my understanding, does this happen on one or more devices?

Have you tried to un-install and re-install Skype to see if that will help?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Dippndots
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

It is happening on all of my devices:
Windows 10 Laptop

Windows 10 Desktop

Android Phone

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, both skype preview for windows 10 and the regular desktop version. I have also tried some common work-arounds for skype connectivity issues regarding ports and UPnP.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HI Dippndots,

Thanks for that information.  I'd like to know what error message is returned when Skype fails for you. Would you mind posting a screen capture on here? Or just write down word for word what the message is.

I'd also like to know if this issue affects devices connected via wireless or Ethernet. If the former then place try a wired connection and let us know if the problem recurs.

I'll then see if we can offer any help or advice for this.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Dippndots
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

There is no special error message from skype, just the usual you have gone offline or internet connection problem (see below).

154061i3F150D6D9134098A.png

I haven't tried being plugged into the router via ethernet, but that's not really a solution as my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. What version of Skype are you running?

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Dippndots
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Skype for Desktop 7.33.0.104 (latest)
Skype preview for Windows 10 from the Store: whatever is the latest.
Skype for Android: 7.36.0.103 (latest)

I've struggled with this problem for about 6 months, so the latest updates don't have any impact on the problem, and seeing as this happens on multiple devices and operating systems, I'm convinced it has to a problem with the virgin gen 1 router we have.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dippndots,

Thanks for that. I think I should certainly check your connection and I'm not averse to replacing your Hub if needed.
I'll need to locate your Hub details, which I'm unable to do at present. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll take a look.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos