Menu
PJD1984
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sky Q With Virgin Broadband

Hello this is my first post on the forum and would be grateful for any advice, I have just had Sky Q Installed and I don't think much of this wi-fi setup they utilise, so will be looking to hardwire all the boxes to a switch connected to the router. . 

The second part of this is that I am considering having Virgin Broadband installed as fibre is not available on my line, I currently have ADSl2+ 20MB.

Will this cause major issue with Sky? And how would I go about configuring this setup.

From reading other posts on Sky forums I gather I need to put the SuperHub into modem mode and use my own router which will be a Tp-Link Archer V9.

If I then follow the steps above and Put SuperHub into Modem mode and connect a Tp-LInk Router with a switch feeding the silver boxes and minis [all wifi switched off the boxes] will this be a stable setup?

I have also posted on the sky forums and all seems positive but thought it may be worth asking over here just in case I have overlooked anything. 

Any-help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Q With Virgin Broadband

I can't comment from experience as I don't have Sky Q, although my mum does have Sky Q, she's using it with Vodafone Broadband, so it does work with non-sky broadband. But I can't say with absolute certainty it works with the Virgin Superhub without being able to test it.

There is technically no reason why the Virgin Superhub should not work with Sky Q, as long as you connect up with ethernet cables as you have already said you will be doing.... and also now you should not even have to use it in modem mode with your own router.... the latest firmware on the Virgin Superhub3 in router mode should work fine, as all the upnp and port forwarding issues that may have caused problems for Sky Q have now "apparently" been fixed.... although if you still prefer to run your own router then this should work fine too.

0 Kudos
SNK
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm using Sky Q and Virgin 150meg superhub 2ac with no problems what so ever so you should be OK as well.

0 Kudos
PJD1984
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying ordered yesterday should be installed Thursday hopefully all goes well. 

0 Kudos