Menu
BuriedCode
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Setting up a wireless bridge with hub 3

Hey,

Recently upgraded my connection to 100Mbit, and was given a hub 3. All phones and tablets work well with this, good signal all over the house, and speed is great. 

Previously had the old modem that was hooked to a TP-link router that provided the wireless, and upstairs used a second TP-link router (TL-WR1043ND) in 'bridge' mode.  This second router was used for devices upstairs and provided both ethernet and wireless on a second WIFI network.  It was essentially used as an 'external WIFI card' because the connection was unreliable when using the WIFI card in the upstairs PC, but the connection between the routers was pretty damn quick and reliable.

When I tried to configure the upstairs router to wirelessly connect to the hub 3 (effectively negating the need for the router downstairs, as the hub 3 is the new router) it simply will not connect.

As far as I am aware, the TP-link just requires the SSID, password, encryption type (WPA2-PSK) and mode for the router its connecting to.  As well as turning off DHCP.  Now the hub 3 is 802.11ac, whilst the router I wish to bridge it with is b/g/n or mixed mode, but I'm pretty sure 'ac' is backward compatible.

I know I could set the hub 3 in modem mode, and use the original router as wireless, but this defeats the point because I believe the bottleneck is the original router - and the hub 3 allows for much faster connections for the devices wirelessly connected to it, just doesn't seem to allow the second router to connect to it.

So, firstly, has anyone done this?  That is, connect a second router to the hub 3, as a bridge, over WIFI (not ethernet).

Secondly, are there any 'gotchas' in trying to get a router bridged to the hub 3.0 ? I was going to log in to the hub 3 with the password on the box, but it automatically requires a password change (good security) and as its working just fine with every other device, I don't see why I would need to change anything to allow a bridge to connect to it.

It could well be down to the IP I set for the bridge, which can of course be anything I wish. The hub 3.0 default is 192.168.0.1, where-as previously, the routers all have 192.168.1.x. I'm clearly missing something, and configuring any of the 3 routers via webpage interface is difficult, because of course I need the network set up to configure them!  Any idea's?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Setting up a wireless bridge with hub 3

One small gotcha is that the Hubs do not support wireless bridging or WDS.

Wireless bridges are usually used to connect two wired networks with a wireless connection, WDS adds wireless repeatability so wireless clients can connect.

You could set up the TPLink as a wireless access point connected back to the hub by an ethernet cable or if that is impractical, powerline adapters.

If the TPLink has a wireless repeating mode, you can use the Linksys as a wireless repeater. Be aware this will halve the speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless. (If not, upgrading the router to DD- WRT firmware may be beneficial, bearing in mind there is a chance of bricking the router if the instructions are not followed implicitly)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I THINK where your going wrong is the TPLink IP.

It needs to be in the 192.168.0.xxx range for the HUB3 to talk to it.

0 Kudos
BuriedCode
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Okey doke, I'll try that now. So the LAN IP for the second router should be 192.168.0.xxx.
Looking at the IP's assigned to devices connected directly to the the Hub 3, it seems to start at 192.168.0.14, so I'll set the second router to 192.168.0.20 and see how it goes.

As I said, I'm configuring things using a PC connected to the second router, so I have to set the IP/gateway/DNS manually on the PC's connection every time I switch between routers, but its doable! I'll get back to you.
0 Kudos
BuriedCode
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No dice. Configured the second router to be a bridge with the following settings:
SSID to be bridged: hub 3 SSID.
password for network to be bridged: hub 3 password
LAN IP of bridge: 192.168.0.20
LAN of hub 3: 192.168.0.1

A couple of things I noticed:
1) Hub 3 assigns IP's that see to start at 14, rather than 100. I'll log into the hub 3 to see what settings it has, and what can be changed (note, its working just fine, so I'm not fixing a problem per se).
2) The MAC of the router given by 'Wifi analyzer' on my phone is different from that given by the 'survey' function of my bridging router (survey just lists all the SSID's and their respective MAC's within range). Only the last hex number, which could be that one is for the 5.2 band, and the other 2.4 band.
This MAC must be included in the bridge config, so I may change this manually to match the one my phone shows.

I'll keep chipping away at it, but it takes time - to configure the bridge requires manually setting the network settings (static IP, gateway etc..) where-as testing it passes through to the primary router, the hub 3, requires automatic settings.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

One small gotcha is that the Hubs do not support wireless bridging or WDS.

Wireless bridges are usually used to connect two wired networks with a wireless connection, WDS adds wireless repeatability so wireless clients can connect.

You could set up the TPLink as a wireless access point connected back to the hub by an ethernet cable or if that is impractical, powerline adapters.

If the TPLink has a wireless repeating mode, you can use the Linksys as a wireless repeater. Be aware this will halve the speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless. (If not, upgrading the router to DD- WRT firmware may be beneficial, bearing in mind there is a chance of bricking the router if the instructions are not followed implicitly)

DZS50
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had my broken Hub 1 replaced by a new Hub3. I explained to the technician who installed the new Hub that I used a D-Link routers running DD-WRT as a (wireless) client bridges. He said that was OK.

The wireless bridge works fine between the two routers but so far, only if I remove wireless security from both routers.

This certainly worked on the Hub 1 using WPA2 personal – AES selected

0 Kudos
DZS50
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

After some further testing, the wireless bridge now works fine with WPA2 Personal security enabled.

I can now connect a number of small linux boxes that do not have their own wifi capabilities via RJ45 cables to the D-Link router thus giving them internet access.

The D-link supports up to 5 wired connections plus extending wifi to that part of the house at a very low price.

0 Kudos