Menu
flash_bird
Tuning in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Galaxy J3 unable to connect to super hub 2.4GHz

Hi

Can anyone shed any light on this. I am going slowly bonkers.

My son has a brand new Samsung Galaxy J3 which  won't connect to our home wi-fi (and all our other wireless devices will). If I go to the wi-fi setting on the phone, I enter the wifi password and it says connecting....then appears to reset....then connecting.....then reset and so on.

I've spoken on 3 separate occasions today to various operatives at the technical department of Virgin Media, who each assure me there is absolutely no problem with the "super hub", having performed a number of tests and tweeks, suggesting there might be interference from the fridge or microwave and then concluding that it was a hardware issue with the handset).

So I went back to Tesco Mobile and obtained a replacement handset, I have exactly the SAME PROBLEM on the new handset. I really wasn't convinced it was a hardware problem in the first place, but I think that has been ruled out.

I am at a complete LOSS regarding what to do next.  My patience is wearing very, very thin.

Oh and to top it off, my son managed to blow his entire months data allowance, thinking that it was connected to wi-fi when it wasn't.

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samsung Galaxy J3 unable to connect to super hub 2.4GHz

Have you tried changing the wifi security settings on the router from WPA Auto to WPA2-PSK (AES)?  If everything else is connecting OK and you don't want to risk breaking those connections, try enabling a guest network with these settings.

Also, make sure that the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks are using different SSIDs.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
flash_bird
Tuning in
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Argy wrote:

Have you tried changing the wifi security settings on the router from WPA Auto to WPA2-PSK (AES)?  If everything else is connecting OK and you don't want to risk breaking those connections, try enabling a guest network with these settings.

I will look at how to do this - I don't want to risk making the situation for those devices successfully connected worse. I could always change the setting back if it doesn't work. Smiley Happy

Also, make sure that the 2.4 & 5 GHz networks are using different SSIDs.

Yes they have different SSIDs Smiley Happy

Thanks for the quick reply!

0 Kudos
flash_bird
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Tried the amended setting from WPA Auto to WPA2-PSK (AES). The phone appeared to connect for a couple of seconds and then carried on with connect.....reset....connect....reset etc..
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hey flash_bird,

Thanks for posting Smiley Very Happy

This certainly sounds like a frustrating problem, I'm sorry for that.

It sounds like you've already tried lots of things to resolve this already. Have you tried to rename your wireless network and change the password to something personal?

All other devices in your home work perfectly well on the wifi, correct? Just to check.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Monk1
Joining in
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Just to let you know, we have had exactly the same problem with the Samsung J3. Got it from the Virgin store, would not connect to WiFi unless I changed the security setting on the Super Hub 2. It connected, but only for about 30mins or so, then dropped out and would not connect again unless I changed the security setting again, then got another 30mins. Like you, we changed the phone and got exactly the same problem on the second one. Virgin media have spent some time altering the hub channels and like me changing the security settings with no luck (only 30 mins WiFi at a time) I have contacted Samsung and they say there is no connectivity issue with the phone, but they have offered a support service where they will contact me and go through the phone settings to see if there are any issues. Before I take up that option, I have asked Virgin to supply a new super hub (they will only send the same model as I already have) I thought it was worth a shot! Should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Not holding out much hope but will post update.I personally think this J3 is a new 2016 phone with a lot of security on it and it doesn’t like the Virgin super hub. By the way I managed to connect the phone to non Virgin WiFi for well over an hour but had to leave the site. I have a feeling it will work on other networks, but not Virgin super hub. The surprising thing is Virgin have no details of this problem.    

0 Kudos
flash_bird
Tuning in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Interesting!

It's been very frustrating as the following day, after all the problems, the phone connected to the internet via the superhub with absolutely no problem. It did this for a couple of days and now is back to dropping out and not connecting. My kindle won't connect either. We have various devices that seem to drop from the wifi at random times too.

Keen to hear how you get on. I'm getting to the point of investigating other providers as I'm paying over £100 per month for my Virgin Media package and the internet reliability is really getting annoying.

lonewolf66
Joining in
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Had exactly the same problem with 2 new Samsung J3s from Virgin Media (one each for me and wife) and the VM Super Hub. Rang them up and they talked me through logging into the Superhub from my PC and then doing a factory settings reset. They then connected for a few minutes but then both dropped out again. The guy on the phone then did some wizardry with settings at their end and both phones then reconnected. Clock is currently ticking on how long they stay connected. Fingers crossed I guess
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Monk1,

Welcome to the Community Forum, I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your Samsung J3 connecting via the Virgin Media SuperHub. Has the new SuperHub made a difference?

Checking into this for you, I've run testing on your line and can see some issues with your broadband connection--have you noticed problems with your service? There are no reported area outages, so I will need to get an engineer out to sort it as the signal levels are very poor. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details so that I can arrange an appointment for you. Just check the purple envelope at the top right of this page. 

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi flash_bird,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also having a problems connecting to your WiFi on your mobile. Apologies as well for the delay in responding to your post.

Checking this for you, I can see that a new SuperHub has been ordered for you. Please let us know how the service works with your new SuperHub.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos