Menu
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SamKnows white box

Hello,

I was thinking of signing up to the SamKnows campaign to get the white box for measuring the broadband performance.

Does anyone have one and if so what stats does it measure and provide?

Thanks in advance,

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SamKnows white box

MasterofArts wrote:......   Does anyone have one and if so what stats does it measure and provide?

Have 3 currently connected:   SKWB(WiFi) trial unit,  SKWB(TPL WDr3600) on SH2AC(VMDG490) and SKWB(TPL C7) on SH3(VMDG505).

You can find most of the basics in SamKnows white papers on their site. The latest SKWB is version8(bespoke SK unit as opposed to previous TP Link DD-WRT customised versions) which has started to be rolled out to some UK panellists.

V200G-SH3-Brig19-VM.jpg

Once you get a unit then you can also contribute to SamKnows forum on this site....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Excellent stuff, so what differences have you noticed with the boxes if any?

Ive put my name down for a unit.

Dood I would have loved to have contributed to this forum regarding SK but my 60 days notice is going in on 7th March to cancel my account and services, I loved VM aswell, nice staff great banter etc but the the service levels and technical issues does my box in.

Great service if your just a browser but lacking in the gaming quality.

MOA.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

MasterofArts wrote:
Excellent stuff, so what differences have you noticed with the boxes if any?  ....

I'm sorry but I'm not sure in what context you mean "differences"?    If it's the technical differences between boxes then again that's on the SK website but briefly the SKWB3 (TPL WDR3600) and SKWB5( TPL C7 Archer) are rated upto 300mbps and the SKWB8 upto 1gbps.

If it's the performance/results between the two boxes then remember they're both on same physical cable (via splitter and two different Hubs) monitoring two separate IP addresses on same BN3 cable segment provisioned from Brig19 Arris E6K CCAP( D/S tabular summary extract for January2017 monthly report shown for illustration):

SKWB3 via SH2AC on 8x2[*] channels of V200/12 Tier -

• 194.72Mbps Average
  • 70.15Mbps Min 21:00, 10/01/17
  • 221.61Mbps Max 02:00, 05/01/17  

SKWB5 via SH3 on 20x2[**] channels of V220/20. Gamer Tier 

• 209.76Mbps Average
  • 80.84Mbps Min 21:00, 29/01/17
  • 220.66Mbps Max 07:00, 06/01/17 

Hope that helps and good luck getting a SK unit with your next ISP.  

NotaBene - 

• [*] 8 bonded D/S from ChID1(170.75MHz) to ChID 8(226.75MHz) inc
  • [**]20 bonded D/S from ChID1 (as above) to ChID 20(322.75MHz) inc

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thats exactly what I was looking for dood, thankyou.

Im going to go through their white pages tonight.

Both the WAN (modem to router) and my LANs on my network go through my switch and then to the router via CAT 7 RJ45, every device is gigabit except my TV which is 100mb connection which was a pain because on my router it indicates connection type by light colour it was the only connection that was orange on my router when everything lit up white, plugging TV into my switch instead direct to my router gives me matching lights again... Yay.

Im going off topic now but I will ask them if its possible to get the SKWB8 model given my gigabit connections.

Thanks again bud.

MOA.

0 Kudos