Menu
HortonWho
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SH3 - wifi issues

Hi all,

I am due to have VM installed on 28/02 however i hear from 2 friends and on forums that there are major issues with wifi. Looks like it's coming from the Puma 6 chip latency problem for most people.

Is that something isolated or shall i wait and see until this gets resolved?

Last thing i want is move from talktalk and VM prove they are not reliable. I work from home and need wifi all the time.

many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH3 - wifi issues

The Poma 6 issue has nothing to do with WiFi, however wifi connections will still be affected by incresed latency caused by the Puma 6 issue. This will only be noticed in latency critical applications like online gaming.

If you want reliability don't use wifi as it is unreliable by nature as it is affected by a myriad of external factors like Range, Wireless interference, client hardware and the Topography of your home.

HortonWho
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, only occasional gaming here.

should I not then be discouraged to move from talktalk?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it depends on what you are getting now and what you want.

I would bear in mind that there are a few congested areas with VM and it would be wise to do some research first. Have a chat with any neighbours who have VM and see what experience they are getting.

VM have a 14 day cooling off period, so you can use both services side by side (different technologies) for a week or so, so if you are not happy with VM's services you can cancel without risk.

If you do decide to switch, I wouldn't cancel your existing broadband until VM is installed as installations can get delayed, leaving you with no broadband.

0 Kudos
HortonWho
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Griffin

currently with Talktalk broadband (not fibre) and VM will take over the landline so we don't have an option to keep both for a while.

I am just after a opinion to see if VM fibre is generally an unsatisfactory service for those who use it all the time, when working from home.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM use there own land lines and cables which are seperate to BT's network.

My VM service is fine,like many other peoples, but as I said there are a few bad areas so best do some research first.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What griffin said.

Unless you want to port over your number virgin you can run both services at the same time side by side as they both use different infrastructures.

0 Kudos