Menu
boomish
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

SH3 drop outs help?

I have 2 problems, a loss of connection when gaming (direct cable), and a loss of connection on wifi at random times, it's only started when I got the SH3 connected, the SH2 was fine and solif for the last few years but the wifi became erratic. I did a channel test and use mostly Mac's that have a strong connection thought the house but the 5ghz would simply stop working & only a reboot would get it back. So the SH3 is in ...

The classic thing is late at night I got to use the net on my tablet and the wifi says it's there but no internet connection, I try my phone but same issue, I can't log into the router, I do an airplane mode for 30 secs and I can some times get back in or I have to go and reboot the hub.

The gaming issue happens every time I play, the internet simply drops out altogether for a few sec's I run team speak so that ends up logging me back in as soon as the net comes backup. At the end of the eve I can see multiple losses of connection. It's a pain when gaming with friends.

This is a typical gaming graph

a6f4984230e86291d69dadd5f292312a-06-03-2017.png

I can't see any red spikes but does this look ok?

A typical day

d758b537d40766b9d4defc75d06c9785-07-03-2017.png

I can see varies packet loss lines, again is this normal?

In the router log I get the following..so it looks to me like the DHCP lease is freaking out and the router is suffering from dropouts under increased traffic and periodic loss of connection, but what to do about it? or am I reading these wrong?

Appreciate any help..

Window_and_192_168_0_1__device_networkstatus_mid_NetworkStatus.jpgWindow_and_192_168_0_1__device_networkstatus_mid_NetworkStatus.jpg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SH3 drop outs help?

Hi boomish, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your drops in connection, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from this side and I can see that your Hubs upstream power levels are out of the preferred ranges and will need to be addressed by one of our engineers.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi boomish, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your drops in connection, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from this side and I can see that your Hubs upstream power levels are out of the preferred ranges and will need to be addressed by one of our engineers.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

boomish
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

I did send a PM but not sure if your away as no reply today, maybe another Virgin rep can help..

had an engineer come yesterday and he swapped out the Superhub 3 for another model, (newer version) , trouble is the dropouts are even worse, I powered the router off, and left it , rebooted and that's has improved it but it's not perfect. Strange after all these years of it being stable it's now very unreliable. I'll see if it improves this week. I did phone and press the automated test, so maybe it will improve.

This is the graph from today you can see the dropped packets etc..

I'm trying to play a few games I've played online for years but keepign getting time out's and team-speak drops me or mutes me..this is the worst It's ever been, please help.

Thanks again for any help

My Broadband Ping - New Superhub 3

0 Kudos
boomish
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No reply to my PM or here, I can see a lot of others with this superhub 3 latency issue, Looking back at my old superhub 2 graphs, there is marked difference in latency levels.

Is there any solution? I've ben with Virgin a few years now and this is the worst it's been , pages are slow to load, Teamspeak when gaming cuts out, and I get dropped from gaming servers. I havea brand new Superhub3 , is this the modem or the Virgin service? I'm inclined to put the old superhub 2 in but it's not the ac version and the wifi had started to dropout all the time.

Please can I get some help..

Superhub 2 

My Broadband Ping - Superhub 2

Superhub 3

My Broadband Ping - New Superhub 3

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi boomish,

Adam's off work for awhile which is likely why he's not been back in touch with you.

The latency, as seen in your BQM's, is a different issue to your disconnections. I have tested your Hub and the network from here but I'm not able to locate any fault as such. The network itself is error-free and your Hub's stats are optimal. 

I'd like to ask a few questions if that's OK:

• How often are you experiencing these disconnections?
  • Are they occurring at any particular time of day?
  • Are wired or wireless devices affected (or both)?

Please provide any other information that may help us diagnose what's behind this.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

boomish
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Jen and for checking the line.
In reply to your questions.
Disconnections from game servers & slow response is daily, since the reboot it's more large lag issues. IE: web pages very slow to respond or when gaming Teamspeak drops in & out, game loading to a server is long.
Can't say I've noticed any particular time of day but last Friday evening it was not great to be gaming online.
All devices but mobiles are wired, but it affects both.
Is it possible to go back to a Superhub 2 AC? I have an old Superhub 2 still but it's wifi is very unreliable.

FWIW I work in IT, I normally use fixed ip's etc but I have left the router as stock until we can work out why there is an issue, have checked all ethernet connections and ran speed tests. It's not the LAN, I find I have to switch the wifi off my mobile as 4g is often quicker, it can be that bad. Could it still be the ongoing issue with the router chipset, I read in the gaming forum there is an updated firmware that solves a lot of latency issues but it's yet to be released by Virgin.
Thanks again for any help, problems happen with any IT, I still think it's a great service!
0 Kudos