Menu
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

SH3 Updating for five hours

How long does the SH3 take to update?

If I connect the SH3, it says "updating" and it then stayed like that for the last five hours. I've just pulled the plug and gone back to my old modem (again). Everything is now working perfectly with the old modem back in place.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH3 Updating for five hours

If the old modem still works then you haven't actually activated the new hub
0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I put connected the SH3 and the GUI said "Updating" with the green light flashing. It didn't bring up a page saying "I need activating" or anything similar.

The SH3 unit has actually been activated before but I withdrew it from service since the port flapping problem kept killing my VPN. This is my third attempt at "upgrading" to the the SH3.

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I found the instructions at https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/4505_qsg_install_triple_d8.pdf all of which I have followed. My service is already activated and when I visit the page at https://my.virginmedia.com/create-profile/onlinesplash, it says

Great news!

You have already activated your superfast Virgin Media Broadband.

So at the point of powering up and where the unit should take 30 minutes to update, it didn't finish. Am I missing a step?

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

it nomaly takes time on updateing SH3 max time it should of took is 30 mins then reboot after when it finshed it or you can try reset botton on the back you need to ring up to actice your account with the account number and stuff you have have a mac adreesss i think you missed ringing up to actice your sh3 it should not take 5 hours

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Your service may be active but you still technically have to activate the hub virgin do this on there end so that your hub is authorised on there equipment outside your home and then starts to work (this stops people using there own equipment and makes it so only one hub can be used at a time) if you were able to put your old hub back on and it connected then your Hub3 was never actually authorised which is why it got stuck for such a long time, it may be worth calling support explaining to them what you are trying to do then they can manually activate the hub3 for you

0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

ok, I'll do that tomorrow.

Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

After help from support, SH3 is now alive. According to http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk I'm only getting 20M down and 8M up though.

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

that only does phone line fibre try http://beta.speedtest.net/ and change the server to virgin media manchester and press go you get more from that then that crap website you used

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Hamrag
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

ok, I did that and it shows 6.88Mbps download and 5.61Mbps upload.

This is even further way from 100Mbps.Any other speed tester I can use? (they all give the same basic message).

If I switch to London server, it's higher on download, worse on upload;

If I use Newbury (the 'optimal server), it's better on both but still a factor of 10 delinquent on download.

It's odd that 12.15Mbps is "slower than 59% of the UK", but 11.60Mbps is "faster than 54% of the UK".

Before I had the SH3, the old modem was hitting 90Mbps, guess I could go back to that one again for a while at least. This speed is a problem for me because I work at home using VNC (I'm disabled). I've been going into the office this week, because the link is just too slow (and bombs out completely every now and again). I've had these problems every time I plumb in the SH3.

0 Kudos