Menu
la_familla
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SH3 Black vs White - Not same

On my friends SH3 White, I noticed it has a function to combine 2.4ghz and 5ghz under a single SSID. On the Black that I have I notice this option doesn't exist?

Also I can't seem to choose what channel my guest WiFI operates on. I'd prefer to be able to choose which frequency to operate my Guest WiFi on and I would also love to have the option of combining both 2.4ghz and 5ghz under a single SSID.

Is SH3 Black the inferior model?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH3 Black vs White - Not same

They are EXACTLY the same, except for the colour of the case.

If you want a single SSID for both wifi bands, simply ensure that both bands have the same SSID (and password).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Guest network uses the same wireless radio as the main network, so it cannot operate on a different wireless channel. The Guest network just works on a different subnet than the main network.

0 Kudos
la_familla
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On my friends SH3 I'm certain I saw an option to combine the SSID's? I'll check again unless I'm mistaken.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When you first go into the Hub, the 'Configure your WiFi network' wizard only shows one SSID and password as by default both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz are set the same, and wizard will update both with the details you enter.

However within the Advanced Wireless settings you have the option of setting different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The same settings are available on UK Hub 3.0s whether they're white or black.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
la_familla
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well this article here confirms what I've seen. Some people are seeing an option to combine both SSIDs. I am certain I saw the option but I'm not sure exactly what was written above the setting but see here:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/New-Hub-3-0-Single-SSID/td-p/3077458

I just can't see the same option on my Black SH3. Renaming them both the same would still display two separate SSIDs with the same name, whereas on my friends White SH3 I had to change the setting to allow both of the SSIDs to even be seen. Before I changed it, I only saw one single SSID. After changing the option I saw both.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

la_familla wrote:

Well this article here confirms what I've seen. Some people are seeing an option to combine both SSIDs. I am certain I saw the option but I'm not sure exactly what was written above the setting but see here:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/New-Hub-3-0-Single-SSID/td-p/3077458

That is talking about the options I've described. The WiFi wizard immediately after login in will set both SSID and passwords to the same on both frequencies, but then you can specify different names and passwords in the advanced settings if you wish instead.

la_familla wrote:

Renaming them both the same would still display two separate SSIDs with the same name, 

Although I have the white Hub 3.0, both the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz frequencies have the SSID and password and all my devices only see one SSID with that name, not two. As the black Hub 3.0 is exactly the same barring the physical colour of the case then the same would apply to your device.

Have you actually tried using either the Wizard to set a single SSID and password or done so manually via the advanced settings?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos