Menu
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SH2ac and static routes

Does the SH2ac allow static routes to be added? I've had a look around the config menus and I can't see anywhere where I can specify or add a route.

Reason for this needing this is that I run a home test lab of servers on my own VM host server and one of the VMs runs routing and remote access with 2 LAN cards, 1 is configured to sit on my main house LAN, the other is configured as a private LAN only for the VMs. From time to time I need to give some of the VMs access to the internet. I used to have a seperate broadband just for this rig with a Netgear router on which I could add a static route stating that any traffic for this 2nd LAN should be directed towards the VM running routing and remote access.

The above worked so whenever I needed the VMs to have internet access I'd enable routing and remote access on the VM. Recently, due to needing to save some money I've done away with the 2nd broadband so I spent yesterday re-jigging things to move the 2nd LAN over to my Virgin broadband. Everything has now been setup but the last piece of the jigsaw, the need to add a static route is where I've come a cropper.

So is there anyway of doing this? I'd need to do it on the SH2ac as I do have an Asus AC68u device acting as a wireless extender which does allow me to add a static route but this is no good as the traffic never gets beyond the SH2ac.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH2ac and static routes

no get another router.

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How will getting another router help? I already have an Asus DSL-AC68U which was connected to my 2nd broadband which I've now wired onto the Virgin LAN and run that as a wireless repeater/extender. As I said I did add a static route to the Asus but this didn't help as when the packet arrives from the SH2ac, the SH doesn't know what to direct it to.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ILuvNips wrote:
How will getting another router help?

If your smart enough to know about static routes your smart enough to know how.

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I say it was a given that I'm not smart enough to figure things out which is why I posted here.

The only thing I can think of is to run the SH2ac in modem mode and move all the DHCP services over to the Asus but I don't really want to do this as I have other devices connected to the SH2ac which would mean that I'd also need to add a switch for these devices.

If a static route can't be added then I suppose there's no simple way to solve the issue.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What part of get another router do you not get? Its clear you can't do static routes in router mode so use it in modem mode with another router that can and you can still use your Asus AC68u device acting as a wireless extender to this other router that will do static routes.Or if the Asus AC68u can do static routes then use that and get a AP/wireless extender.

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Blimey who rattled your cage?

I thought this was a forum for getting help and advice (which is why I posted asking for help and advice) not a place where you get your head bitten off.

Nobody is forcing you to reply, certainly not me so if my question and subsequent replies are somehow getting on your nerves or are beneath your obviously superior knowledge I suggest you might want to try simply skipping/ignoring.

To answer your statement, I did understand the literals of your reply but was confused as I already have the Asus which is why I responded as I did.

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ILuvNips wrote:

Blimey who rattled your cage?

Your just reading it wrong I'm saying it obvious the super hub can't do what you want if you want a 2nd opinion that's fine.

0 Kudos
MagicMavis
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think he just wants an answer that's helpful rather than belittling.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

MagicMavis wrote:

I think he just wants an answer that's helpful rather than belittling.

I gave the answer in my 1st post “no get another router.” the person understands they can have the Asus AC68u do static route but they are not using it as a router to NAT the traffic so get another router is the simple way to solve the issue then saying “ I suppose there's no simple way to solve the issue.”. It baffles me that people know about static route which is good for you but why must you think ISP router mode could or should do that? They are just not going to add it their only goal is getting you on the internet and allow many devices even if you can say static route is good for security IF done right but other people are not going to know they just want it to work they are not going to take the time to think how they can make their network secure as far as they know thats what router mode and the useless firewall option does there is no easy way to automate knowing what device should do what and does it need to connect to a PC? As a result NAT causes more devices to be a security risk and like I said people are not going to know.

Now if it was down to me for router mode and security no LAN device can connect to each other! They can only connect to the internet (along with the WAN subnet of course) Now no one will like that but its secure if people want device to connect to each other on a LAN they have to do that and use modem mode with their own router setup.

0 Kudos