Menu
Snailblazer
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

SH2 keeps dropping 2.4ghz

Hey there guys. Recently got Sky Q installed but it's been a total nightmare as it keeps dropping the connection to my router. Interestingly it seems to also drop connection to all my apple mobile devices too. The only fix seems to be to use the 5ghz band. Sky Q however doesn't use this so I'm a little screwed. Anyone had the same problems with the 2.4ghz dropping out all the time and is there any fix other than to instal a decent router and have the virgin piece of crud run as modem only? It amazes me that a company that is supposed to offer the fastest connection speeds is so poor in their tech selection - net gear really? Total pile of junk...
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SH2 keeps dropping 2.4ghz

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. The 2.4Ghz band is narrow and prone to wireless interference due to the ever inceasing popularity of wireless gadgets and domestic appliances using it. The 2.4Ghz band is nicknamed the junk band with good reason.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. Bear in mind the wireless scanners will not pick up interference from other sources such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

The Hubs are entry levels devices much like many other ISPs jit and a decent third party router would give a better performance. However, a decent third party router might not completely solve your wireless problems depending on how bad your wireless environment is.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SH2 keeps dropping 2.4ghz

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. The 2.4Ghz band is narrow and prone to wireless interference due to the ever inceasing popularity of wireless gadgets and domestic appliances using it. The 2.4Ghz band is nicknamed the junk band with good reason.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. Bear in mind the wireless scanners will not pick up interference from other sources such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

The Hubs are entry levels devices much like many other ISPs jit and a decent third party router would give a better performance. However, a decent third party router might not completely solve your wireless problems depending on how bad your wireless environment is.

0 Kudos