Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11 (202 Views)

Routers...what do you guys use?

Hey guys,

I have just been upgraded (BTW, I use that term very loosely) to the Superhub 3 and now as if by magic my wifi is absolutely *********

It seems my only option would be to go Modem only route and purchase a separate router.

What are your thoughts on a quality router and what do you use.

Thanks for any input.

Rob.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 11 (186 Views)

Re: Routers...what do you guys use?

As much ASUS as your budget allows. THINK Amazon have 20% off ATM, other online retailers are available....

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11 (170 Views)

Thanks for the reply

I had seen a post stating Asus seem to be popular.

What model do you use, I'm a little worried about buying a router and finding it's rubbish.

Thanks

Rob.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11 (151 Views)

Asus are good routers, I am currently using a Netgear Nighthawk R8000, which I absolutely love.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11 (133 Views)

Thanks for your input, it's that kind of answer I was looking for.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Netgear R8000 as you have and the Asus RT-AC3200

Both seem to be very good routers.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 11 (120 Views)

Not that its any help *disclaimer

Both those are both decent routers , and units that others on here have used and had good results with. If you are into firmware flashing, go for ASUS. if not, either/or.... flip a coin...? At that level the Dink triband offering gets decent reviews (DIR-890L/R) but Id still go Asus/netgear depending on what deal you can get on them...

The Netgear is currently 10 quid cheaper on Amazon, at 134 quid, but try a bit of googlefu you may be able to shave a few quid off both prices.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 11 (104 Views)

I'm hoping to get my ASUS RT-N66U  working with the virgin hub in modem mode at some point

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11 (73 Views)

I went for the Asus after all... All setup and working but unfortunately it hasn't helped with my speed issues.

Just set up another BQM to check its performance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 11 (58 Views)

Could be power levels- post upstream/downstream levels and network logs well get a look

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11 (41 Views)

[ Edited ]

I use a ubiquiti edgerouter, poe switch and ubiquiti wireless AC PRO access points and my setup is just awesome...

Edgerouter does require a little networking knowledge but the forums are quite helpful...

I suppose the one off first time setup is quite expensive, but will easier to replace individual components as time goes on.

I used to have an asus router setup using merlin's firmware but got frustrated with its lack of basic features such as QoS that works without too much slowdown and basic networking features...

Vivid gaming BB ✔