Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (117 Views)

Router wifi is short on range

Hi My wifi seems short on range If I use my I pad close to my router it works OK but if I move say 5 meters away or so the signal drops out .  I thought my I pad was developing a problem but I now have a brand new I pad mini and the problem is still their. The  desktop PC works fine which is hard wired with an either net cable. I used to be able to use the I pad all over the house but now I cant. Do routers loose their range with time I have had min a few years now ? I recently changed my anti virus software to (Kaspersky) and this sometimes throws up warning windows about  which I don't understand. 

Any help appreciated Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6 (90 Views)

Re: Router wifi is short on range

Judging from the sudden drop of signal and short distance involved check 2.4 Ghz signal is enabled; following article maybe of help:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6 (85 Views)

Technically no routers don't lose their range over time but like any electronic device they can fail. I had a router do the same, one day it was fine the next day I could only get a signal if I was right next to it.

As the  other poster says it's worth checking the 2.4ghz signal is turned on and that you are connecting to that rather than the 5ghz, which tends to have less range and isn't as good at working through walls.

It's also worth trying to change the channel the wifi is using to make sure there's no interference from your neighbours wifi. Not sure what's available in the apple store, but I use wifi analyzer on android to check what other networks are in range and what channel they're on.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6 (68 Views)

OK just switched to 5 GHz and the I pad seemed to connected much faster will see how it goes over the next few day...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (63 Views)

Thanks lithurge I will see how the Ghz change works or not then try a channel change I am currently on ch44.

Is the WiFi analyser something you can get on line ?

Steve

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6 (47 Views)

It's available in the Google Play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

I couldn't see the exact same program available in the itunes store, but a search for wifi analyzer on there does turn up a couple of programs I have no idea how useful they are.

You could try a PC based program, I do occasionally use Acrylic wifi, you really need to install it on a laptop for portability to check the signal around the flat.

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wifi-analyzer-acrylic-professional/download-wifi-analyz...

0 Kudos