Menu
ChrisG3
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Router queries new customer

I have just cancelled my BT infinity broadband in readiness for moving to Virgin next month but am getting very anxious that I have made a big mistake - so many posts about awful Virgin router.

Is there a solution that would fit my needs e.g. a better router that can replace the Virgin one? Hope someone can give some advice (not too technical - I am fairly competent but prefer it simple!).  My current set-up is as below:

I have a network drive attached to my existing BT router - multiple uses including backup device, but primary purpose is to link (via 'homeplug') to high quality digital music system for playing large music files (FLAC not Mp3).  I also use the USB port on the BT router for other external storage devices. Our main PC is connected by ethernet to the router. Other devices - Laptop, printer, TV, iPad, mobiles etc connect wirelessly and main TV, Bluray player, Apple TV etc connect through Homeplugs.

Thanks in advance for any advice

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router queries new customer

you can use any cable routers and can use the superhub as a modem.
0 Kudos
ChrisG3
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.  It seems that is the best solution.  I have a Netgear D6200 which I had hoped would do this but when I tried  to set it up as an access point a few months ago it failed to accept changes - I think it is a known fault so looks as if I will need to buy something else.

apcyberax wrote:
you can use any cable routers and can use the superhub as a modem.

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I use a Netgear R6400 which works very well.

0 Kudos
ChrisG3
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that information- hoping my earlier 6200 will work then.
0 Kudos