Menu
Radioman
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Router double up

I have a hub 3 and wondering if I can add a second router via a lab output from this one with a separate name and password etc to run as wifi in my house. I have dedicated wired devices running on my router but I turn off my router when the kids are sent to bed to prevent them using the Internet during night time. I would like to run security cameras wired in my router system (already working but with router off there's no way of viewing them when away from home). The cameras do work over the Internet when I turn on the router but only record to an hard drive when router is off. I would like a way of running a second router and making the original router lan cable only. Will this work using a separate router? The reason I ask is I've no spare router and would have to purchase one to try it but should the bought router not work as I want then it will be money wasted. Can anyone advise if it has been tried and what is the outcome?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router double up

Short answer yes it will work.

Long answer is that you have several options.

You could get a decent third party cable router with parental controls and put the Hub 3 into modem mode disabling the wireless and all routing functions.This will become the main router handling all wired and wireless connections.

The Hub3 is supposed to have a way to disable certain devices using the internet at certain times. This MAC filtering does not work on the Hub 3 at the moment. There is a workaround by using reserved IP addresses and using IP filtering, a bit of hassle but it will save the cost of a new router.

You could get a cheap router with Access Point mode, or a dedicated Wireless Access point and use it alongside the hub's wifi.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

hiya @Radioman when attaching a 3rd party router to the hub best to enable modem mode, so the 2nd router takes over all the routing function guide -> https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... or if you want to use both routers together best to see if the 2nd router has option for access point mode since end up with a double NAT and can be tricky to get things to port forward etc..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Short answer yes it will work.

Long answer is that you have several options.

You could get a decent third party cable router with parental controls and put the Hub 3 into modem mode disabling the wireless and all routing functions.This will become the main router handling all wired and wireless connections.

The Hub3 is supposed to have a way to disable certain devices using the internet at certain times. This MAC filtering does not work on the Hub 3 at the moment. There is a workaround by using reserved IP addresses and using IP filtering, a bit of hassle but it will save the cost of a new router.

You could get a cheap router with Access Point mode, or a dedicated Wireless Access point and use it alongside the hub's wifi.