Menu
primala87
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Router disconnecting repeatedly

Hello, I hope someone can help. My router is disconnecting numerous times a day. I have called the support line and I get the same response each time, which is just to reset the router and change the channel (they alternate between suggesting a specific number to keeping it on auto). I am sick of paying for a service whereby I have to keep resetting it every few hours. I'm hoping that someone can help! Thanks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router disconnecting repeatedly

Is the connection dropping on devices connected directly to the hub, or the hub's lights change behaviour during the dropouts?

What hub do you have?

It would be worth testing to check that the actual internet connection is not dropping.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could download a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help you select the best wireless channel by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

It may be a case that the 2.4Ghz wireless environment is completely congested. The SHs are basic entry level devices and buying a decent third party router might help to cut through any intergerence somewhat but may not completely cure the problem.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos