Menu
ChuckieSurrey
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Router / Wifi signal advice

First post, so will try and be concise. 

As per diagram below, wifi signal is terrible in the rooms marked. The property is a bungalow with relatively solid walls.

I have tried using a basic wifi extender, but this isn't functioning as I would want and causes issues with different networks etc causing issues with Sonos and other hardware.

Considering purchasing a N7000, but would appreciate advice before I do, as if this won't solve the issues then will go back to drawing board

Thanks in advance

TimWifi diagram.PNG

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router / Wifi signal advice

Hi Tim,

Good to see a floor plan and yes I can see that is a huge ask for a standalone router in one corner of the building.

You mention trying a Wi-Fi Extender and if you really meant it was an extender then they are bad news because they also rely on receiving a decent signal before they can boost it.  Also because of the half-duplex nature of the signal handling they effectively halve your speed.

What you need is Powerline Adapters which use your mains wiring to carry the signal to other rooms.  There are plenty of makes out there but my preference is the Devolo units with Wi-Fi.  If one slave plug isn't enough to cover all rooms, you can add more.  Not cheap but then quality comes at a price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the N7000 will increase the range compared to the hub, but with your setup i would be looking at using a couple of pairs of homeplugs attached to access points if you want wireless in those rooms, or homeplugs with built in wifi.. a few of my fellow superusers advise using e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00N8W349Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&... not cheap but worth it..

other options could be run a long ethernet cable up the wall along ceiling or above ceiling and drop down to a wireless access point
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tim,

Good to see a floor plan and yes I can see that is a huge ask for a standalone router in one corner of the building.

You mention trying a Wi-Fi Extender and if you really meant it was an extender then they are bad news because they also rely on receiving a decent signal before they can boost it.  Also because of the half-duplex nature of the signal handling they effectively halve your speed.

What you need is Powerline Adapters which use your mains wiring to carry the signal to other rooms.  There are plenty of makes out there but my preference is the Devolo units with Wi-Fi.  If one slave plug isn't enough to cover all rooms, you can add more.  Not cheap but then quality comes at a price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00OZDO8RE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the N7000 will increase the range compared to the hub, but with your setup i would be looking at using a couple of pairs of homeplugs attached to access points if you want wireless in those rooms, or homeplugs with built in wifi.. a few of my fellow superusers advise using e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-Powerline-Starter-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00N8W349Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&... not cheap but worth it..

other options could be run a long ethernet cable up the wall along ceiling or above ceiling and drop down to a wireless access point
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
ChuckieSurrey
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for your reply and suggestions.

My reluctance to use Powerline etc was due to the same issue with the extender (accepted as inadequate). What I really want is one "complete" network, whereas with the extender, and I assume the powerline ones, I will end up with the main network, then main_ext1, main_ext2 etc. I have read about cloning the network onto adapters, which appears to solve that issue?

If I was to run a ethernet cable through the roof and down to the rooms in question I would still need wireless access points in those rooms, which would probably end up being more expensive than the powerline solution.

Finally, and if this sounds ridiculous let me know, would putting a good quality router in the loft make any difference? There is no partitioning in there and I guess the only obstruction then is the ceiling.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

with the homeplugs you can configure them to use the same SSID (Wireless name) passphrase (wireless password), so when you move around the house they should connect seamless wouldn't notice a drop in connection or the need to reconnect.
the cost of a access point is lot less than homeplugs a decent access point for example -> https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC51U-Dual-Band-Wireless-Multifunctional/dp/B00XUDWDZE/ref=sr_1_cc_... for £30 isn't bad this will cover the room your in and posible the next room, there is much more powerfull access points on amazon put in mimo access points and can get into silly prices.
0 Kudos
Chris30
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We have a super hub with some sort of Virgin connector on the end put In by the virgin technician and which is supposed to boost something and is located in the dining room virtually at the bungalow`s centre.

The signal is ok next to it but at 5 metres away is less than one blob and constantly falls in and out of connexion.

We are a low tech house.

I cannot believe that a booster is either appropriate or necessary.

Chris

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Chris30 wrote:

We have a super hub with some sort of Virgin connector on the end put In by the virgin technician and which is supposed to boost something and is located in the dining room virtually at the bungalow`s centre.

The signal is ok next to it but at 5 metres away is less than one blob and constantly falls in and out of connexion.

We are a low tech house.

I cannot believe that a booster is either appropriate or necessary.

Chris

pq4f88beee

Electron
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Put superhub in modem mode then get your own decent router and install it above ceiling in kitchen. Run cable from superhub to router above kitchen.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pyrotenax wrote:
Put superhub in modem mode then get your own decent router and install it above ceiling in kitchen. Run cable from superhub to router above kitchen.

+1 for that - if you have a tall unit or shelf in the hallway then that might be a better place but try it in the loft area first - one disadvantage of the loft even if it works well is easy access should you need it

as to a good router there are many - the Asus range is well thought of on here but thats just one brand

Tony
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have this (https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AC88U/). Excellent.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos