Menu
sam8
Just joined
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Router Upgrade FREE!???

Hi,

Does anyone know whether I can get a free replacement for my router? My current one is very slow and about 5 years old. Just wanted to know whether I can get it replaced for free.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Upgrade FREE!???

call retentions... ask for the superhub 3.

simple...might have to pay delivery but no1 should be on a 5 year old modem now IMO

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

might be have to be tied into a new 12 month contract, or pay the postage around £5, as for the hub being 5 years old shouldn't matter, the old motto 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' to find out what is possible causing the slowness might need to get a tech out, if you could goto http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right no need to login, and if can copy/paste the downstream, upstream,network log don't worry about the formatting we can easily read it.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

new contract for a SH3 that they give out as standard? Lol if your a mug...

Hub 3 is better so old customers should not loose out having ancient modems...

call em up ...forum wont do nothing

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

chutwutt wrote:

As the old song says, "It ain't necessarily so."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

chutwutt wrote:

new contract for a SH3 that they give out as standard? Lol if your a mug...

call em up ...forum wont do nothing

Better with an SH2 in modem mode, or SH2AC in modem/router rather than a HUB3

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Ive always used my asus 1.9gbps router with hub on modem mode (hub 3 from when it came out i got now using asus)

I mean...hub 3 locks onto more downstream channels.....goto to be better than just 8..?  if not, how so!?

In my tests , the hub 3 performed better than 2ac, but then again....depends on devices connected.

but how is 8 channels locked better than a modem locking say 16+

thats y Id go4 hub 3..modem mode or not TBF

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Because neither SHUB2 or SHUB2AC suffer from the puma6 latency issue and lock ENOUGH channels in most areas. No advantage to locking 16 odd downstreams in an area where upstream is saturated...

You can put SH2 and SH2AC into modem mode, attach your own router and have minimal latency and issues. Not so with HUB3

And whilst yes, HUB3 is better as "plug and play" i.e works with abetter range of LAN side devices, if you do need to configure anything, your up the brown river without the required paddling implement as most of the options are crippled.

Also - my own observations, not "accepted bugs", HUB3 drops WAN side connection  at DHCP lease renewal on occasion (requiring a reboot) . And suffers from LAN side latency build up. Again requiring a reboot- not issues with SHUB2 or SHUB2AC.

On the accepted issue front- It misreports connected devices (know issue), IP filtering doesn't work (know issue) , no SIP or IPSEC pass-through (known issue) so VOIP and VPN's tend to fail.

Shall I continue?

chutwutt
Superfast
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

behave...

Most ppl dont care about those things...latency my backside...

Are you tryin 2 tell me that vm latest hub is worse than the hub 2..  next u will tell me the SH1 was better than the sh3.

these r things the average user wont notice...just ott things that make a graph look good or bad.

truth, iv had no issues of that nature with mine modem mode or router on hub 3.

only puma I deal with is on my feet.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The latest HUB3 is most definitely worse than the SHUB2AC AT THIS POINT- that may well change with firmware updates.

Kind of tied with SHUB2- better WiFi, worse latency and configuration options IMHO.

0 Kudos