Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Router Failure

Assume this is the correct forum...

Had the same Virgin BB router for around 5 years - never been a problem.

At the weekend our connections dropped. Router is making a hissing / high pitch noise. No blue illuminated Virgin symbol on the front - just a single, short red flash on power up. The 3 service lights on the side are flashing erratically. Overall I'd say the router has failed.

Called the foreign call centre first thing today. The 'tech' person ran through his generic response script and we painfully went through the motions etc, etc. Turn it off and back on. Check the cables. Check the lights are flashing. Blah blah blah.

Long story short - we need a replacement router. Simple. But not so simple as it turns out. Apparently an 'engineer' needs to be sent out to test everything first. So that could be a week away. We need our internet connection back asap as we work from home on certain days. To be offline for over a week is unacceptable (and I expect a refund for every day we are offline!).

Can we not just get a replacement router sent out? I can set it up myself!

Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Failure

After my second phone call they finally agreed my router is kaput.

Got a replacement in the post. Goes to show that it makes a massive difference who you get on the other end of the phone!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi 123451,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've had such trouble getting this sorted out. Our team will always try to make sure everything else is working before replacing the router, which is likely the reason for booking a technician.

I'm glad to hear you've had a new hub sent out, how's it going? Has it resolved the issues you've been experiencing?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comment.

We knew all along what was wrong. There was no doubt it was the router. The first call centre employee obviously wanted to make things difficult, as the second person I spoke to quite happily sent me a replacement. I received it in 2 working days! Set it up myself in minutes. Excellent - got exactly the result I wanted... just after the second attempt and a little frustration.

Back up and running again - even better than before. The (5-year) old router struggled to transmit wifi to the upstairs of the house. The new one gives much wider and faster coverage.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi 123451,

Sounds like it was definitely the router causing the issue then! sorry it took while to get it sorted.

Keep an eye on it and give us a shout if you get any more trouble.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos