cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring doorbell

TShirtJohn
Joining in
Installed ring doorbell months ago without any problems until I upgrade to the v3 hub and now most functionality doesn't work with the doorbell. I've tried reinstalling and changing wifi channels too but nothing. Decided to try the doorbell on someone else's network and full functionality again via virgin media v2 hub so its obviously something that's not right with the new v3 hubs? Anyone any idea? The doorbell system will stay over the new v3 hub if it comes to it
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FlashPan
Fibre optic

Complete shots in the dark here.   Maybe you only have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi enabled on the wifi SSIDs on the SH3?  Try enabling your guest wifi and set it to only 2.4Ghz and test with that?  I had a device that did not like to connect to my SH3 when both bands were enabled with the same SSID.

Can you update the firmware on the doorbell as maybe a known issue with SH3's?

Other than that I can only say put the SH3 in modem modem and add your own router and use that wifi.

Cheers

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

33 REPLIES 33

FlashPan
Fibre optic

Complete shots in the dark here.   Maybe you only have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi enabled on the wifi SSIDs on the SH3?  Try enabling your guest wifi and set it to only 2.4Ghz and test with that?  I had a device that did not like to connect to my SH3 when both bands were enabled with the same SSID.

Can you update the firmware on the doorbell as maybe a known issue with SH3's?

Other than that I can only say put the SH3 in modem modem and add your own router and use that wifi.

Cheers

I'll give that a go, I did think that could possibly be the answer at one point

Hi did you solve this ?

I couldn't solve it to be honest - I put SH3 in modem mode and am using ASUS AC68U as a router and its all working again.

I have 2 x ring doorbells front and back - a stick up cam and a ring security light on its way.

Dave

of course i've not got it solved lol virgin media seriously needs to get to grips with these modems they are releasing

I am considering the Linksys Velop and putting the v3lump into modem mode 

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TShirtJohn,

So sorry you didn't manage to resolve this. I am in agreement with FlashPan - Super Hub 3 has, by default, the same password for both of it's wireless frequencies. Changing these can help:

• Access your Hub by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser.
  • Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security.
  • Make sure that the Wifi Network Name is different for the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz frequencies..
  • Change the passwords for one or both.
  • Click on Apply Changes and reconnect.
  • I also located this Ring Help page.

Please let us know how you get on, we'll be happy to help further if needed.

Jen
Forum Team

Hi,

I’ve just followed the instructions above and can now no longer connect to the doorbell? Any other options or selections that should be made on the advanced settings?

Thanks

I just moved homes and i am now back with Virgin (i was with BT with the last address due to Virgin not being enabled on my street).

I can confirm that enabling the Guest Network at 2.4ghz with WPA encryption and re-adding the Ring device as NEW DEVICE allows the Ring Door 1 bell to work.

It's partly Ring's fault because the Ring 1 only supports WPA1 and not WP2 or any other more advanced encryption, thankfully the Virgin Hub 3.0 has a guest network function which allows devices to connect at older encryption yet still keep your network ring fenced.

The BT Hub 4 does not so i had to use a non-guest network for the Ring which left my network vulnerable.

Ring could be more intuitive with their app as well, i find it silly and long winded that i had to re-add the existing device as a new device when it should of been just as easy as changing the location and wifi settings within the existing profile i had already created for the device 6 months ago.

Really appreciate this post as had so many issues since “upgrading” to the hub 3.0 and the ring video Doorbell 2 connection being one of them (mainly live view) option. But I also found that setting up the guest network and using the WPA-PSK option instead of the one that starts with WPA2 has fixed the issue. Next stop to tackle the awful ping/latency on the Xbox one, “upgrading” is fun isn’t it!

Funny enough, Live view is the one thing i can't get working, i put it down to the fact i'm only getting an OK signal from where the Hub is currently located (a Virgin engineer is moving it closer this weekend).

However motion alerts allow me to view what's going on, so i can't see why Live wouldn't work, i'll find out more on Saturday and keep you posted.