Menu
vaulthunteruk
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Recommended router to use with VM?

I currently use a Super Hub 2 in router mode and I have multiple devices connected using Wi-Fi. Until recently I did not know it was possible to use a separate while using the Super Hub in Modem Mode. I am looking at buying my own router and I am wondering if there any specific models that work well with Virgin? I am looking for something with better Wi-Fi range as with the SH2 I can only get a strong signal on one side of the house. Is the Asus RT-N66U a good option?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recommended router to use with VM?

It's a matter of preference and cost. I use ASUS and some here like Linksys.

At the moment I have 2 ASUS RT-N66U's, and this covers all my needs, including the garden. Running Merlin firmware on both.

Hub 3 in Modem Mode.

0 Kudos
Martin-_-
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recommended router to use with VM?

I use a TP-Link Archer C8 with the SH2 in modem mode. I bought the C8 second hand off eB*y for a very modest price. Even though it isn't the latest model, it knocked spots off trying to use the SH2 as a router. From my distant study, I would get a 56Mbps connection to the SH2 which would degrade to 8Mbps when given some work to do. With the TP-Link device I get a 144Mbps connection which degrades to 78Mbps when I push it.

Additionally, the SH2 wireless would, once or twice a week, stop responding and require a reboot. I have run 6 months straight on the TP-Link without any issue and the SH2 works very well in modem mode.

0 Kudos