Menu
Romany01
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recommended Booster ?

Hi,

Hope someone can help😊

What is the best booster to improve the range of broadband throughout the house ?I have a converted garage really close to the house but can't get a wireless connection there. Router is in the house

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recommended Booster ?

Wireless boosters can be a bit hit and miss depending on where they are placed and what is degrading your signal.  If the garage is on the same electrical ring main as the rest of the house then power line adapters would probably be a better option.  They create a wired network using the electrical wiring in your house.

Another option is a 3rd party router with better wireless capabilities than the VM hub, which is quite a lot of them.

There is a home networking guide with more info here:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/home-networking.html

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

nathanw97
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

how easy to change the rooter over to just modem mode?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

nathanw97 wrote:

how easy to change the rooter over to just modem mode?

Very easy, click HERE for instructions.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
nathanw97
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks 

We have a very large house. L-Shape 40m long and 35m Deep, two floors. If we use the Netgear R7000 router will we still need Wifi Powerline Adapters? 

I am getting speeds of 180mbps near the Hub 3.0 VM Router but near the Wifi Powerline adapter only get 15mbps. Any suggestions.... 

Will a Netgear R7000 router solve this?

thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Impossible to say for sure if the R7000 will solve your issue as every house is different, different building materials, different furniture layout, etc.  All I can suggest is borrowing one from a friend to test, or buy one from a retailer with a no quibble returns policy so you can take it back if it doesn't do the job.

With regard to powerline adapters, have you tried testing wired speeds when connected to the powerline adapter?  If wired speeds are also slow then it could be something about the wiring in your house that the powerline adapters are struggling with.  Also the max speeds stated by powerline manufacturers are rarely achievable in the real world.  Does the powerline adapter support AC wireless, like the Hub 3? To get speeds of 180Mbps you would probably need AC wireless.  If you are unsure, post the make and model of the adapters and I'll look it up.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others

0 Kudos
nathanw97
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hi thanks for you help. 

I have tested wired speeds and they still come out very slow. 

the Powerline Adapters i brought are TP-LINK TL-WPA4220TKIT AV600 i have WiFi cloned our address from our router Hub 3.0. So we only need to connect to one WiFi. 

hope this makes sense. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A quick google shows that those adapters only have 2.4Ghz wireless and 100Mbps Ethernet ports so TP-Link are not expecting them to be that quick otherwise they would have 5Ghz wireless and 1000Mbps Ethernet ports.  The 180Mbps speeds you get when directly connected to the hub are impossible with these adapters.  The best it could ever do wired is around 90-95Mbps and wireless it could be around 150Mbps, depending on the number of streams used, but more likely around 40-50Mbps. That is with perfect electrical wiring and no interference. 

A review on Reevoo reports speeds of 18-20Mbps:

"20Meg internet, netflix in lovely HD from stuttery low-res via wireless; both laptops getting 18Meg internet anywhere in our old stone house. We were concerned that the old, dodgy, bodged, patched and extended wiring in our house wouldn't work well with these"

0 Kudos
nathanw97
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok thanks
I think it must be the electrical wiring in our house then as i am only getting 9mbps wireless and 12mbps when wired.
I am going to try the Netgear R7000 way.
0 Kudos