Menu
matthewg156
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ready to throw Virgin hub and service out the window

For two months now, I have experienced intermittent problems with the Virgin hub (which I have connected to an AirPort Extreme). Every two days it will stop serving DHCP, and the landing page is unavailable. Devices that have an existing IP address work fine (i.e. it's not an issue with the line). Resetting the hub resolves the issue (until the next two days).

I have been through several rounds of the most painful, 1st level troubleshooting with Virgin's off-shore call centre involving resetting the line, the router, factory settings, basically taking the 'turn it off and on' mentality to the n-th degree. Needless to say the original issue still isn't working.

I have eventually been told to visit the 'upgrade your hub' page on the Virgin site to get a replacement. I found this, but it 'doesn't recognize my details'

Argh!

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ready to throw Virgin hub and service out the window

Hey matthewg156,

Sounds like you've had a bit of a mare with our offshore colleagues. As much as they are trained up the same as the UK staff, nothing against the teams in the slightest, but I know exactly where you're coming from.

It does sound like the router could be due a firmware update, or secondly, as you mentioned, a box swap could be on the cards.

The best way that you can do a box swap, is speaking to the customer relations teams. They would be able to get you a superhub 3, but the downside, is that there is an activation fee of £14.99 charged for new equipment. That being said, and I'll be honest here, I always notify customers that a change of equipment may still not resolve the issue.

The forum teams will have access to systems to check this, and order new equipment, however, there would always be that activation fee charged.

If you wanted to order the equipment, it would be sent via quickstart, delivered by Yodel in the next couple of working days. If you wanted to, give the customer relations teams a call on 0800 052 8310 (providing your account number when you get through) between 8am-10pm Mon-Sun.

Let us know how you get on.
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
matthewg156
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, thanks Dan. Will definitely do so.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

if your computers are losing DHCP when in modem mode with a airport extreme then the fault is the airport as that is the device dealing with the LAN side DHCP. a new superhub will not fix this.
Synthetic
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
if your computers are losing DHCP when in modem mode with a airport extreme then the fault is the airport as that is the device dealing with the LAN side DHCP. a new superhub will not fix this.

This.

The superhub doesn't do DHCP in modem mode.

0 Kudos
matthewg156
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

no, apcyberax is correct.

However my device is not in modem mode. I'm using it in 'normal' mode because I am using the ports on the hub. It's supplying DHCP to the network. Airport Extreme DHCP is disabled (it's in bridge mode).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

well that is very different to what i seemed like you were describing. Before the VM staff get here have you tested a factory reset of the superhub to see if that fixes it?
0 Kudos
matthewg156
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not to sound defensive, but that is exactly what I was describing. In my original post I specified the Virgin hub "will stop serving DHCP" and also mentioned I factory rest the hub.

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin hub (which I have connected to an AirPort Extreme).
i disagree. that is describing a standard setup of using an Airport as the router. with the HD in modem mode. you didn't describe the setup other than what was connected to what. Anyone would assume what you described was a standard setup not a non standard one
0 Kudos
matthewg156
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But the Virgin Hub couldn't be serving DHCP in modem mode?

Anyway, problem still remains
0 Kudos