Menu
Craiggates30
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re use of old modems don't be fooled.

So. I will start by giving some background info. We lived in a shared house all bills included virgin as well. Me and partner stayed when the other guys went back to there own countries. We took over the house and now all the bills...we took out virgin in our name as the landlord cancelled. We were having to wait for delivery of the new modem, even though we had this modem just not working. Tonight rang up to activate the modem as we just had a splash screen from the virgin site saying we need to activate. (Old modem new one not arrived yet) after many posts saying online we can't use a old modem for a new account I decided to ring virgin. The tech guy said your line isn't activated I shall transfer you. Spoke to another helpfully chap who said what's going off..I explained my Internet not working just splash screen. He said ok let me look. He asked for the Mac address. He said this is on a different account let me disconnect from that account and put on yours. After 18 mins on the phone my Internet is working on a older superhub 2 modem. So my question is this why are we led to belive this can not be done and why do virgin media facilitate this waste of technology that can still be used?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Re use of old modems don't be fooled.

I understand where you are coming from but your Superhub 2 is not even current and certainly not future-proof.

It is not ac-capable, like the Superhub 2ac and Hub 3.0 and cannot take the very fast speeds which are currently available.

Having said that, if it meets your requirements, then that's great.

Craiggates30
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry it is superhub2 ac.... nothing is future proof in terms of technology. But if it handles 100mb which in current terms is perfect for a few games and streaming then why is a massive company telling people to discard the still very usable tech in the bin. Why not run the hardware untill it no longer becomes feesable to do so. It is a massive waste in my eyes.
0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2ac is actually better than the new Superhub 3.0.

0 Kudos