Menu
5olas1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Rare? Green Cabinet Issue!

Hi all,

Newbie wanting some help with a strange scenario!

We are needing broadband at our flat and originally signed up with Plusnet about a month ago and had to cancel with them the other day as we didn't have one day of broadband! The reason for this, you know the small green cabinets on street corners where you'll see BT Openreach guys fiddling about with millions of wires, well, the box that connects our flat with a BT line was within the perimeters of a demolition site next to us! So, Openreach tried to contact to demolition company only to be denied access to switch us on! We won't be able to get broadband via a ADSL line until the demolition has took place and all is cleared which we have no idea when it's going to happen and really need WiFi soon.

Anyway, that being a setup for my question...

We have looked at Virgins fibre optic broadband only deals and have a Virgin fibre optic box in our living room from previous tenants. So, do Virgin need to get into that exact same little green cabinet to connect us to broadband or is this not needed?

Obviously, if that's not needed we will sign up with Virgin straight away as they seem like our only hope!

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks for reading!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rare? Green Cabinet Issue!

Virgin have their own little green cabinets, it will be in a different location from the BT one, and if the wires from the previous tenant are still connected you may not even need an engineer they will post you the kit on a quick start option and it should all just work, if however you require the router in a different location you will need to book it as an engineer install. 

0 Kudos
5olas1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the swift reply.

That's somewhat helpful to me!

I didn't realise Virgin used different cabinets to Openreach and I was actually told by a Plusnet customer service agent that Virgin use the same cabinets as Openreach!

Do you know how to identify the difference between the cabinets Virgin and Openreach use? If so, I can go outside and see what cabinets are not within this demolition perimeter or do some in depth research online to see a Virgin cabinet map, if possible!

I can't say for sure if the line is still active to our flat but I know there's a dial tone in the phone line input next to the broadband box on our living room wall.

Advice? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

All the ones I've seen are  green with a pointed roof and normally have a cover nearby on the pavement  with CATV on it but it may vary depending on what original company did the build, if you have a dial tone you almost certainly can get a quick start without the need for an engineer

0 Kudos
5olas1
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks. That's helpful.

We initially intend to get just the broadband only service without paying for a landline as we don't really needed a landline phone and we're also weary that the Virgin line would travel to the same Openreach cabinet! But, if all is good and it's going to a different and accessible cabinet then getting a phone line also may be an option. Broadband is the main thing though.

I'm going to have a look for the cabinets you've described and also, I'm hoping to catch a Virgin engineer somewhere to talk to them face to face and see what they say!

When I called Virgin the advisor said I would have to create an account and set up all the payments before being able to check if we definitely could get broadband but was told that I would get a full refund if no broadband was accessible. She did mention something about having a credit check and possibly having to pay £25 for the engineer coming out, not sure about that though!
0 Kudos