Menu
wase13
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Random problems with Hub 3 - wifi and wired

Hi, I´ve been using my Hub 3 without problems since August, not a single problem.

For the last 5 days, I lose connection in some devices (phones, macbooks, windows laptops, desktop computers...) sometimes I have internet connection in my Macbook but not in my windows laptop.

Sometimes wifi works but wired connection doesn´t

Sometimes only wired connection works.

Windows and iOs diagnostics sometimes fixes the problem. Router lights don´t change when this happens. I tried resetting when it happens but not always solves the problem.

It seems to happen at random times and gets fixed randomly as well.

Any ideas? Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Random problems with Hub 3 - wifi and wired

Handier escalating through here, done for you..

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

By your description it sounds like Either wiFi or wired are working all the time- but not both together ? which would indicate your circuit is fine.

So then your down to suspecting a  broken HUB....

If you have periods when BOTH disconnect it could be your line. Confirm which it is and we will advise where to go from here.

0 Kudos
wase13
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answer.

Most of the times there is at least one device where it works. Can´t remember if it stopped working in all of them at the same time.

What does happen is that wifi works in 2 or 3 devices but not in another 2 (for example).  Seems to be an IP or DNS problem as refreshing these fixes the problem most of the times.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Okay two possibilities spring to mind

• Not enough bandwidth for all devices connected
  • Busted HUB

Not an exhaustive  list of possibilities but the two we should initially focus on.

What broadband tier are you on? (50, 100, 200Mbps)?

How many (on average) devices are connected?

0 Kudos
wase13
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good morning,

At the moment there are 7 devices connected, which is a bit over the average. Since August nothing has changed in terms of usage. Same devices used more or less identically, usually not more than 3 are used at the same time.

In terms of bandwidth, I´m not sure how to check that on a Macbook or inside the router. Connected by ethernet shows 100 mbps but unsure about wifi.

In case it helps, this is the software version: 9.1.116V

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you are getting 100Mbps on an wired connection and are on 100Mbps tier that shows your circuit is fine.

Ive HUB3 and we have AT LEAST 10 devices connected through WiFi so its not a generic "HUB cant handle it" situation.

So your down to wireless interference or weak signal at best guess.

Have you run a wireless sniffer to see what channels would be best to use? I think Macs have one built in, but dont use one so couldn't tell you for sure....

0 Kudos
wase13
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

it´s currently set in automatic, it´s supposed to choose the best one...

It´s not a weak signal problem as it happens 1 meter away from the Hub. It´s happening right now. My macbook has connection but my girlfriend´s macbook only works if I disconnect mine. When I reconnect mine her´s stops working.

it works on her iphone at the moment but not in mine...

It really seems like a defective Hub to me, but it worked so well for months.. it´s frustrating.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Auto is great for uncontested areas, not so hot where there are various conflicting devices.

Try setting it manually by using a sniffer- distance to the HUB is pretty much irrelevant, spatial positioning is more an issue with devices in the same room. That should improve wireless connectivity.

Check your DHCP server is running on the HUB. Check the two macs aren't trying to use the same IP, and that they are set to acquire an IP by DHCP

If its still not working after that, Ill escalate to staff for you.

0 Kudos
wase13
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What channel can you recommend ? I just scanned the wifi networks and there is one more (also Virgin Media) that is in Channel 40 (for 5ghz). 

There are other VM connections on channel 48 and 36.  Can I just put a different one for less interferences ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
wase13
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have been testing it today with 2 macbooks. For 2 hours all went well, but then suddenly one lost connection (Ip address 192.168.0.20) . The other one with IP address ending in 21 was working fine. I turned off wifi on the second one, and the first one started to work again. 

Turned on wifi again, and it was not working... For the next 30 min it was impossible to have both working at the same time (still different ip addresses...) . After a while and running the diagnostics 4 or 5 times, both work again.

If you could escalate this I´d appreciate that, otherwise I can give them a call tomorrow.

Thank you

0 Kudos