Menu
ianrbruce
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Public access to home hub

Hi,

I currently run a Home Hub 3 in modem only mode because of poor wireless signals from the hub. I've just received an email from VM saying that they are expanding their network by turning on a separate network connection inside the hub.

Will this be possible if the Hub wireless signal is turned off? If it is, will it have any impact on the modem only mode?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Public access to home hub

no this will not work if you are in modem mode.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ianrbruce wrote:

Hi,

I currently run a Home Hub 3 in modem only mode because of poor wireless signals from the hub. I've just received an email from VM saying that they are expanding their network by turning on a separate network connection inside the hub.

Will this be possible if the Hub wireless signal is turned off? If it is, will it have any impact on the modem only mode?

Thanks

Further to Anthony's response then even if you were in default RouterMode (and had also not elected to OPT OUT of WiFi Sharing in your MyVirginMedia profile) then the "Public Shared VM Wifi" enablement would not be shared with your own Service Flow grouping on WAN upstream channel nor any measurable resource impact on actual Wifi Channel you were using.  Some (significant) marginal loss due to Hub CPU resource limitation is unlikely but has yet to be determined with current Trials areas.

Neither is there any (as yet) security risk of any WiFi client on users Hub being able to intercept any data on user own WiFi channel nor any service flow.  

We need a few more objective empirical trials with WiFi Analyser/Scanner and SamKnows/Hub Diagnostics for comparisons as the SH2AC/SH3 pilot trial eareas are extended over time. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

no this will not work if you are in modem mode.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ianrbruce wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Further to Anthony's response then even if you were in default RouterMode (and had also not elected to OPT OUT of WiFi Sharing in your MyVirginMedia profile) then the "Public Shared VM Wifi" enablement would not be shared with your own Service Flow grouping on WAN upstream channel nor any measurable resource impact on actual Wifi Channel you were using.  Some (significant) marginal loss due to Hub CPU resource limitation is unlikely but has yet to be determined with current Trials areas.

Neither is there any (as yet) security risk of any WiFi client on users Hub being able to intercept any data on user own WiFi channel nor any service flow.  

We need a few more objective empirical trials with WiFi Analyser/Scanner and SamKnows/Hub Diagnostics for comparisons as the SH2AC/SH3 pilot trial eareas are extended over time. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
ianrbruce
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for both replies. I am not opposed to VM extending the network with a signal from my home hub. On the other hand I don't want to switch off the modem only mode as the wireless signal from the Hub 3 is so poor. The poor signal from the hub is probably more to do with interference from nearby local networks on the 2.4Ghz band than anything else. I use a separate dual band router with most of my network either wired or on the 5Ghz band. My 2.4Ghz network is much slower but is still there for devices which can't work on 5Ghz.

0 Kudos