Menu
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Public IP / Avoiding double NAT

On my current VDSL setup I have the BT issued public IP address assigned to the WAN interface of my firewall. This is done using the PPPoE client within my firewall to authenticate with BT's RAS/RADUIS server. I don't use BT's hub, just their modem in conjunction with my firewall.

I do this to avoid a double NAT hop (once in their hub and again in my firewall), and I don't care for a static public IP address.

My question is, "is anyone else doing this?", "or is it even possible with Virgin Media (specifically Vivid Gamer 200). I've looked through the forums and I thought that maybe modem-only mode would do it, but as far as I can tell that just turns the WiFi off).

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Public IP / Avoiding double NAT

Every VM hub has a router mode and a modem mode. As you would know, attaching a router/wall to the VM hub in router mode, withousetting your router to bridge mode, would result in double NATting.

If you put the VM hub into modem mode, DHCP is turned off in the hub and with DHCP turned on in your own router, no double NATting occurs.

What I don't understand is why you are having the problem with VDSL. I use a BT standalone modem with a DHCP ROuter/Fw and there is no double NATting. What have I misunderstood?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

All Replies
pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It could be known as "bridge mode".

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Every VM hub has a router mode and a modem mode. As you would know, attaching a router/wall to the VM hub in router mode, withousetting your router to bridge mode, would result in double NATting.

If you put the VM hub into modem mode, DHCP is turned off in the hub and with DHCP turned on in your own router, no double NATting occurs.

What I don't understand is why you are having the problem with VDSL. I use a BT standalone modem with a DHCP ROuter/Fw and there is no double NATting. What have I misunderstood?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

pmk_mck
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the confirmation of the modem (only) mode of the Hub 3, and my VDSL implementation is working just fine (no double NAT) but I just wanted to ensure that I could achieve the same on Virgin. Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos