Menu
Uplift
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Problems with wireless..

The last couple of month I have noticed the Wifi my home was getting slower and slower.. assuming a fault somewhere I didn't think much of it, I thought it would be fixed soon.

That was until I downloaded a file on a wired connection and realised how fast it was.

I thought it would be a good idea to let the Superhub connect to the best channels I changed it from Auto to 1 saved it, then back to Auto (assuming it would automatically pick the best channel).

I noticed an immediate improvement in my wireless speed however I'm now experiencing an intermittent problem where clicking on to a website will do nothing for about 3-5 seconds and then the site will load instantly... sometimes the browser will say 'Page cannot be displayed' and complain that I am not connected to the internet. A refresh will load the website instantly.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I am about to change the channel again to see if it helps.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with wireless..

when you browse the same sites using wired connection does the same thing happen?, also i would be trying channel 1,6,11 first the non-overlapping channels to see if gets any better.. since when you change channels it might makes your neighbors router change theirs etc etc.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Uplift
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No they're fine on wired.

What about 5Ghz channel?

Problem seems the same on both channels. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

channels 1,6,11 are for 2.4ghz, you could use something like http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html for PC, to view what 5ghz are being used the most.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Uplift
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I've tried various channels on both 2 and 5 Ghz and both have the same problem. Switched back to Auto and unplugged router for a bit... switched back on, new channels selected but problem still persists.

It basically only happens the first time I access a website.

e.g. ..

1. go to virginmedia.com
2. begins to load but does seems to stop and do nothing for about 5 seconds
3. The either:
a) 'Page cannot be display' wifi temporarily disconnects
b) website eventually loads

The website will then work fine. navigating pages on that website is fast and as expected...

Then I visit another website..

rise and repeat...

It's almost as if it's the initial connection to the website that it is struggling with.

I was starting to think it could be my Mac but noticed it is also doing it on phones and wired seems ok.

Any other thoughts or is it time to call Virgin media tech team?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Uplift

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear of the problems you've been experiencing over the wireless connection though it's good to hear everything is ok when over ethernet. Thanks for letting us know what you've tried so far.

When checking your connection there are problems showing with both the upstream and downstream power levels though which will cause some issues. We'll need to arrange an engineer visit for this so I'll send you a PM to get this visit booked in.

Speak soon

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos