Menu
Scottface
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Problems with NEST Thermostat

Hello,

I have just switched internet provider from Sky to Virgin, and all is well (I can finally watch Amazon Prime on my TV!!!), but there is one persistent and annoying problem.

I have a NEST Thermostat that worked well with Sky, but with Virgin it keeps loosing connection to the wireless (I have updated the thermostat with my new network and password), and when I try to get it to reconnect it will only reconnect after I have first hit 'Do Not Connect', and then tried to connect again. It will only stay connected for between 30mins and an hour.

This lack of connectively rather undermines the point of having a NEST in the first place. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kay

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems with NEST Thermostat

Hi Kay

good to hear that you still had Internet access on other devices when the thermostat lost the connection, that does seem to rule out a fault with your line.

One thing on the Nest support page that caught my eye was this bit:

"In some rare cases, the Nest Thermostat can experience intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity if the security on your Wi-Fi router is set to a mixed security mode (WPA/WPA2)."

I think the VM Super hubs use mixed security mode by default (they call it WPA Auto mode) and I have seen posts on here from users of other WiFi devices that have resolved their disconnection issues by changing the wireless security mode.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Quick question, do you have a superhub 3? if so you won't get a fix till the next firmware update

*edit SH3 is the white one as opposed the the 2 which is black

h0tspurs
Joining in
Message 15 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks all for this thread. I had a similar problem with my Nest Protect and my Superhub 2.

I guessed the Nest products all networked in the same way (as they talk to each other), so opened the ports mentioned in the thread and changed the WiFi password protocol away from auto and bingo my Nest Protect setup fine.

Thanks again.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Is your VM hub located in the same place as you had the Sky router?  Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors and the location of the hub can be critical to getting good reception.  Also the wireless channel that the router is using can make a difference, maybe the Sky router was set to a different channel.  You could try changing the channel to see if that helps.

Nest appear to have a support page for troubleshooting intermittent connectivity, might be worth a look if you haven't already:

https://nest.com/support/article/I-am-experiencing-intermittent-connectivity-with-my-Wi-Fi-network

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Scottface
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

The router is in the same place, and there don't seem to be any issues with the internet - the problem doesn't seem to correlate to internet availability - I was watching Netflix last night when the thermostat lost connectivity, and the signal was very stable. The fact that I have trouble rejoining the network might mean that it is a Nest problem - and I have been through the Nest page, and done everything that made sense to me (there was a page with lots of technical info that I ignored - and sent an email to Nest to try and get some real time support).

Thanks for trying help, if you come across anything else that you think might help all information is gratefully received.

Kay

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Kay

good to hear that you still had Internet access on other devices when the thermostat lost the connection, that does seem to rule out a fault with your line.

One thing on the Nest support page that caught my eye was this bit:

"In some rare cases, the Nest Thermostat can experience intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity if the security on your Wi-Fi router is set to a mixed security mode (WPA/WPA2)."

I think the VM Super hubs use mixed security mode by default (they call it WPA Auto mode) and I have seen posts on here from users of other WiFi devices that have resolved their disconnection issues by changing the wireless security mode.

Scottface
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Scott, that is brilliant - do you know what I need to change it to? Thanks, Kay

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Quick question, do you have a superhub 3? if so you won't get a fix till the next firmware update

*edit SH3 is the white one as opposed the the 2 which is black

Scottface
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

It is the white now - that's annoying. 

Thanks for all the help.

Kay

0 Kudos
Rikki
Tuning in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I'm also having the same problem after installing the hub 3.0.

When will the next firmware update be available that will allow us to switch from the mixed security to a single one??
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
timbaker1991
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I to am having the fact same issues. My Nest stays online for a little while then says it can't connect to the network anymore.

I to am using a superhub 3 - any idea when a fix might be released? I also have a suspicion that the same issue could be affecting my Google Chromecast though I can't be sure about that.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

All VM staff will say is the fix is coming soon. Note they have been saying this since January.

There are also known issues with Chromecast and the Hub 3.0 which should also be fixed soon.

I would recommend getting a third party router and stick the Hub 3.0 into modem mode. It will get round the problem and probably give you better wireless and additional router functionality as a bonus.