Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12 (148 Views)

Problems connecting pc to Hub3

Hi Guys   I have installed new hub for Mum today but have issues getting internet on her pc (Vista )

Pc is showing " Unidentified Network    VM2xxxxx " So it is definitely connected to Hub but no internet.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to sort this Please ?

Derek 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 12 (109 Views)

Re: Problems connecting pc to Hub3

Did you ring in to activate the hub?

Can you connect to the internet connecting directly to the hub?

If you can get a wired connection, it might be trying letting Windows troubleshooter to try and resolve the wireless connection.

It might be worth seperating the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Networks in the Hub 3 by giving them different SSIDs, I would try and make them easy recognisable and would avoid using VM to avoid confusion.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12 (105 Views)

Thanks For the reply Yes has been activated IPad and KIndle connected and have internet but pc still shows Unidentified Network What will I need to connect directly to Hub ?' Derek
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 12 (97 Views)

To connect directly to the hub you just need to plug a ethernet cable to one of the Hub's LAN port and the PC's LAN port. This offers the fastest and most reliable connection. A ethernet cable should have been supplied with the hub.

However, this is a bit of a moot point now as you have proven internet connection with the iPad and Kindle, which suggests a problem with the PC.

What wireless adapter does the PC have?

It may be worth updating the drivers from the adapter's manufacturer's website, do not rely on Windows Update.

Did you let Windows troubleshooter try and resolve the problem?

You can click on Windows Start Icon and type ncpa.cpl into the search bar, this should open the Network Connections page.

Right Click on the WiFi Icon and then properties.

Click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Properties (ensure the tick box is ticked)

Check that the Obtain IP address and DNS address radio buttons are selected, click OK and the close on next page to exit.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12 (82 Views)

Thanks Tried that but still the same. Update ..so this morning I call Virgin Tech to see if they can help and after rebooting Hub3 and doing various checks I have been told that my Mother has to update her operating system as it is vista . I find that strange as I am typing this on my PC which is Vista !!!!!! So my elderly Mother not only gets a letter telling her that she will lose her broadband if she does not fit a Hub3 and then when she does she can no longer use her PC unless she upgrade to a different operating system ! Great way to treat elderly customers Virgin
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12 (73 Views)

Microsoft has/is about to stop supporting Vista, so there may be security concerns in the future, however that should not effect your ability to connect to the internet, although there are various reasonably ancient theads in Microsoft forums about Vista's unidentified network problem.

one fix is to open a dos prompt and type

'netsh winsock reset"

if that doesn't work type ipconfig and post the results here. It may also be worth making sure that ipv6 is not enabled in its settings.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12 (68 Views)

Thanks very much for the reply Tried netch fix but still no internet Could you help with disabling ipv6 and what this could do to fix the problem please Derek
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12 (64 Views)

what did ipconfig show ?

Its been a long time since I looked at vista so can't remember its interface properly. But if you click on the connection and click properties, there should be a list of things the network uses and if ipv6 is there untick it.

Also what av software do you have as that has also been know to cause issues.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12 (61 Views)

Hi Steve Tried untick ipv6 still no good ipconfig I cant seem to put into a text file as is says access denied
Thanks for trying to help

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12 (55 Views)

After checking the net for solutions it seems this wireless adapter (Atheros Ar5007eg ) has had multiple problems and I can seem to update the drivers. Could anyone give any advice on possibly turning it off and using a usb wireless adapter ?

0 Kudos