Menu
jamie6737
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Problem with certain wireless devices connecting

I  have a problem with two apple devices connecting to my wifi system. I have the virgin media superhub 2 and a belkin Wifi box. My laptop and other electronics connect and work fine but my two apple devices wont connect. I have researched on the internet and have found a person in a similar situation as im in, the solution to the problem was to change the wifi radio to 802.11b/g but im not sure how to do this.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with certain wireless devices connecting

I would not change the wireless mode to b/g as this will slow the whole wireless network down to around 24Mbps. If you want to do it for diagnostic purposes, a Google search your show you how to but the Belkin in b\g mode.

How are you using the Belkin router, as a wireless access point or as a main router with the SH2 in modem mode?

What is the model of the Belkin router?

Are you seeing any error messages on the apple devices?

0 Kudos
jamie6737
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The ipad air 2 and ipad both state a successful connection to the Wifi but do not display any web pages, the error in safari states the server stopped responding after loading for 4 minutes.

The model number is F6D4230-4 v1

Im not sure what you mean by SH2 but i think its used as a wireless access point. i think the router is blocking the two devices accessing it for some reason because all my other devices work but not these two. it also might have something to do with IOS 10 and its updated wireless configuration because anything below IOS 10 works fine.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SH2 = Superhub 2. (VMDG 485) It is a modem\Router combo cabable of wireless a\b\g\n. The SH2 AC (VMDG490) is capable of using the wireless AC standard which would be a boon for your iPad Air 2.

The Belkin F6D4230-4 v1 is a 1x1 (single stream) wireless b\g (2.4Ghz only) router which is basically obsolete now. You will not very fast speeds out of it.

Have you tried disconnecting the Belkin and using the SH2 in router mode to provide your wireless to start. This will allow you to use the iPad Air (and probably the iPad depending on model) on the 5Ghz band which does not suffer from interference as bad as the 2.4Ghz band does.

You could try forgetting the wireless networks on the ios 10 devices and setting up the network connection again.

0 Kudos
jamie6737
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I put the Superhub 2 into router mode and reset the WIFI on the ipad air 2 and its still not loading pages up. However i can connect to the wifi router that is located downstairs with no problems, this router is brand new so maybe the one upstairs is old and out dated?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am a bit confused, are you saying you have two routers connected to the SH2?  If the router upstairs is the Belkin, then yes it is out of date,

If so what is the router downstairs?

Are the routers using the same SSIDs as the SH2?

It is a bit hard to offer specific advise without understanding your set up.

0 Kudos
jamie6737
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There was a router downstairs but its been removed from the house, Anyway on the apple support forums i have seen lots of people with the same problem. Many seem to point to adding a static IP in the WIFI settings on a IPad Air 2 so if i where to do this do i keep the submask,router,DNS and the 'search Domains Belkin the same? but change the IP?

This is the exact problem

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7665917?start=0&tstart=0

0 Kudos