Menu
jif007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Problem with SuperHub 2 and TP-Link 24-port switch

Hi All

I am trying to connect my super hub 2 to my wired equipment throughout my house. I have rj45 points throughout which are wired to a patch panel. These devices are a mixture of games consloe's, pc's, tv's, dvd players and so on.

Each time I connect the SH2 to the switch my internet connection becomes very "flaky". By this I mean I constantly get loss of network across the devices but not necessarily all the time. It can work for 5 minutes, an hour a day without problem or it can fail 20 times in 30 minutes. There appears to be no pattern to it.

The wireless signal however works all the time and does not drop. It seems to be a WIRED issue only. I have tried the following things without any joy:-

1. Changed the switch TP-LINK T1500-28PCT 24-Port 10/100 Mbps + 4-Port Gigabit Smart PoE+ Switch for an identical replacem...

2. Changed the Ethernet cable from the SH2 to the switch. No joy

3. Used Different Ports on the SH2 for the connection to the switch. No joy.

4. Disconnected the switch altogether from the setup and used only the four ports on the Sh2 to connect to 4 specific ports on the patch panel. WORKS FINE.

Is there a problem connecting the SH2 with a 24-port switch, if so can this be overcome? Having replaced all the hardware and cables I am totally confused as to what else to do.

I have tried re-connecting my previous switch (8 port Netgear) tot he SH2 and incredibly this DOES work.

Is there a limit to the number of devices that can be plugged into the SH2 via a switch (even though not all of these will be operational all at the same time?)

Please help as i have a whole house which is wired for Ethernet and wired back to a patch panel. It seems stupid if in this day and age I cannot connect them via a simple network?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with SuperHub 2 and TP-Link 24-port switch

First of all I am going to admit to making a few assumptions here...so bear with me.

• Assuming your WAN side is fine- with the 8 port switch in place everything works
  • Assuming your devices are compatible etc- as above
  • Assuming your cabling is CAT5e or higher throughout <--one to check
  • You are not using most of the advanced management features on the switch.

Personally I think you are suffering from lack of grunt. By which I mean the Superhub simply is not powerful enough to do what your asking.

I had a very similair issue. Workaround was to switch OFF the DHCP server and allocate static IP's to all devices. Issue then is you lose capability for someone visiting your home to get on the network.

I would STRONGLY recommend ditching HUB to modem mode and replacing it with a more powerful router. Assuming you have a fairly high end user profile if are needing a 24 port switch managed switch. A router with a better processor and more memory, and preferably something you can flash if needed would be an excellent investment.

If my assumptions are incorrect and especially if you are using some of the more advanced features of the switch, can you temporarily swap it out for a (or a couple) of unmanaged ones?

jif007
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I can confirm that I've checked all the cables. All are Cat5e or Cat 6. They are all shielded.

I do not really have any high use as such. I only bought the 24 port switch as I have 2 rj45 points in each room of the house and are pre-wired to a patch panel. In most cases they are not being used. At the most, I have 3 smart tvs connected, an xbox one, a desktop pc (my main concern), and a network printer. Thete is a bluray player and onkyo amp also plugged in but i guess they hardly ever need internet or network access. Other devices are all pretty much wireless. I don't think these handful of wired devices should pose too much of a problem for my network and as such I wouldn't classify myself as high-end user.

I have not installed any of the software that came with the switch. I've simply powered it up and plugged into the corresponding ports on the patch panel. I'm not sure what the difference is between managed and unmanaged. In simple terms I just bought this to replace an old netgear 8port switch thinking it'd give me more ports. I didn't realise it would be causing further complications.

I really don't want to lose the ability of having people able to connect to my network and so am hoping that there is some other way other than turning off DHCP and allocating static fixed ip addresses.

Is this a problem with the SH2 or with the tp-link switch I have chosen? Will the new SH3 resolve this issue or do I have to give up on connecting all my patch panel? If I do need a separate dedicated router can anyone recommend something suitable that will definitely work straight out of the box??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its very much a case of "suck it and see" with regard to if HUB3 would solve your problems. I have to say, I have NOT had to use the same work a rounds since I got it but YMMV

I don't think its a case of the amount of throughput the SH2 has to do. When I used it, I had a similair amount of devices, with similair usage, except I use NAS for streaming. Its more the amount of devices demanding a DHCP lease IMHO, hence why offloading the workload to static IP's works.

So if you can snag a HUB3 for either free or cost of postage, its worth trying- HOWEVER be aware the firmware is fairly limited at this point. But if you are not using the management built in to the switch you have, your needs might well be a good fit for HUB3. It does work right out of the box for a more complicated LAN side setup, which you have.

Wait and see if you get any other input, maybe someone else on here has experienced similair issues and knows of a different fix, but I am fairly active n here and issues with hubs and switches tend to be resolved with the static IP fix.

So to summarise. If you want a really simple solution, HUB3 is worth a punt if its available to you at a low (or no) cost

If your happy to fiddle about, try the static IP fix.

If neither option is attractive, set a budget and we can recommend a router that will LIKELY work for you.

Or

Wait for staff to pick up your post and see if they know of any other issues that might be affecting your setup

legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

More then likely unless you tired it is if you connect one device to your switch for router mode it will likely work fine.

But yes put the super hub in modem mode get your own router.

0 Kudos
pcmanbob
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have an SH1 which I run in modem mode connected to that is a netgear wdn3700 router connected to that are 2 un-managed switch's one being 10/100mbit the other 10/100/1000mbit I regularly have 10 to 15 wired devices connected between to 2 switches with out any problems so I would say modem mode is the way to go most reasonable routers have many more options than the standard virgin offerings anyway and are more reliable.

0 Kudos
BaldrickBravo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if it's a link speed negotiation issue?

When you connect two networked devices together, they will go through an auto-negotiation process which determines link speed:

10Mb
100Mb1Gb

You could try forcing the link speed to "1000BaseT-FullDuplex" on the switch port to which you are connecting the SH2.

I don't quite buy the too much power explanation ... as the OP doesn't have many devices on the network, all the SH2 has to worry about is the link between itself and the switch. The switch does the rest of the heavy lifting.  Even if there's a limit to the number of MAC addresses the SH2 can handle on one port, it doesn't apply here.

I would recommend using a proper firewall with the SH2 in modem mode plugged into the firewall's WAN port. The switch should then be plugged into the firewall's LAN port. Then use separate wireless access points connected to your switch via the ethernet sockets in each room. That way the Wireless Access Points are in optimal positions with quality ethernet backhaul.

0 Kudos
jif007
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have since had my SH2 swapped out for a SH3.

I can't say things are now perfect as on the wired devices, I am still getting drop out on the connection BUT nowhere near as much as previously.

Unfortunately, this does not help in diagnosing the fault as now instead of having a setup which hardly ever worked I now have a setup which works more often than not (but with an issue of it hanging completely randomly). This is probably even more annoying as I have a problem for sure, but one which is more sporadic than with the SH2.

Looks like I will have to go down the dedicated router option. Any suggestions please?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

jif007 wrote:
Hi, I have since had my SH2 swapped out for a SH3.

Looks like I will have to go down the dedicated router option. Any suggestions please?

You can swap back to the SH2 if you can for better latency in the mean time.

How much do you want spend on one all be it any 1Gb one will be better so £50 and up may likely be all you need.

For something cheap and advanced you could look at the The EdgeRouter™ Lite

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

or ZyXEL USG40 / ZyWALL 110

http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/products_services/smb-security_appliances_and_services.shtml?t=c

but for something simple heres a list

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Modem-mode-what-am-I-missing-here/m-p/3...

0 Kudos
LauraG13
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am having similar issues with the Superhub 3.0. I have been trying to get my managed switch working ever since I got it, it works for a bit and then stops working, it works again when I restart it but then only for a short amount of time. I have a Netgear GS108tv2. 

Interesting article I read the other day that I assume is linked to my problem and possibly yours? (i think, i'm no expert - Please correct me if I am):

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/08/unstable-ethernet-ports-affecting-virgin-media-superhub...

The forum for this issue is: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-port-flapping/td-p/3073985

Since reading this I've decided to purchase a better router. 

0 Kudos