Menu
alain-red
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Printer connection to router - it won't!

Hi. I'm having problems connecting my wi-fi printer to my SuperHub router. A previous printer stopped working when the new Superhub router was installed although my PC, laptop, tablet and smartphone all work fine. I've just bought a new HP Envy 5530 wi-fi printer and the same thing is happening. The Wireless Set up wizard on the printer takes me through, identifies my router name correctly but does not connect either by using the WPS push button (the printer 'hears' the WPS flashing!) or by manual input of the password. The diagnostics printout says that the printer settings do not match wireless router settings. And I get stuck. HP Help have been helpful and I've reinstalled the printer driver etc from the website and followed the installation advice but came full circle. Following HP and Virgin web advice I've changed the channel from 8 to 11 and entered the printer MAC address to the list of allowed devices ( I think I've done this right!). The printer is 2.4 GHz only so I can't chnage that. I've restarted the router and PC and printer 3 times. The printer is sitting right next to the router. What else can I do? Frustrated. Help please!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Printer connection to router - it won't!

Try disabling the hubs firewall

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

All Replies
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Make sure the password is being entered correctly

When you press the shift key on the printer to do capital letters it normally stays like that until you press it again to make it lowercase
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
alain-red
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary but the password is all lower case and I've inputted it so many times now it's imprinted onto my retina. Also using the WPS connection, which it recognises, but still fails to connect, would surely transmit the correct password.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try disabling the hubs firewall

alain-red
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. Disabled firewall and applied, rebooted hub and retried without success. Should I re-enable the firewall? Does it leave me vulnerable?

Cheers

0 Kudos
alain-red
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Update. Got it connected. Something worked but not sure what. Thanks for your help Gary.

0 Kudos
alain-red
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Whoops spoke too early. Got the connection and printed a few pages. Then switched off the printer and restarted but with dropped connection and failing to connect again. At least I have an IP address this time from the moments it was connected. Don't know if this helps. Got to leave it for now.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Assign it a static ip in the dhcp settings on the hub
0 Kudos
dmart7
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can you explain if and how this was fixed? I have similar problem. Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi dmart7, 

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Have you tried disabling the firewall? I see there is a lot of talk about firewalls causing issues. I'll leave this thread open to see if anyone else has any further suggestions. 

Speak with you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos