Menu
jan1959
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Printer - Dropping Wifi codes

Hi - Since upgrading to the Superhub 3 - my Brother MFC J4420DW printer keeps losing the wifi code when it goes into sleep mode. Virgin have checked my signal and router and tell me it's working properly.  Prior to the upgrade, and immediately after putting the wifi code back in, my printer works perfectly.  I've spoken to Brother, but as they say " the printer is working".  I've spoken to Apple about my Mac - and again it's working and I have broadband connection.  This doesn't solve my problem - my printer loses the codes as soon as it's in sleep mode - i've put the code in over 20 times already.  Any ideas as to how to solve this problem would be gratefully received.   Wish I hadn't upgraded now - as no noticeable increase in  broadband speed, just ongoing problems!

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Printer - Dropping Wifi codes

By code do you mean the IP address (192.xxx.xx.xxx)?

If so then you may want to reserve the desired address on the hub and tell the printer not to use DHCP but to use the fixed IP address that you've reserved.

0 Kudos
jan1959
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No, its the Wifi password as supplied by Virgin with the new Superhub 3.  I enter the password on the printer, it prints.  If i go and have a cuppa tea, then ask it to print something - it comes up with Printer Not Found. Enter the password again and it will print immediately.  When I spoke to Virgin they said that static IP addresses are for business. I'm not good at all this Tecno. stuff, prior to the upgrade the old hub worked with the printer and my Mac with no problems.  Virgin also changed the frequency to 2ghz from 5ghz in the hope this might work - but allas No!

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok.

I've noticed a few posts re WiFi printers appearing on the forum, I haven't used mine for a while but I'll give it a go today and see what happens. I'll post again if I find anything useful.

As for the static IP, the address that VM is talking about is that of your router which the world sees (WAN), the 192.xx address is just for internal use (LAN) and you can reserve that if you want to ensure that a piece of equipment, such as printers, always have the same address.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jan1959,

Apologies for your printer connection issues. To be honest I have come across this type of issue reported with Hub 3 elsewhere. I can't recall the outcome, though shall attempt to find out.

I'd like you to start please by changing the network name (or SSID) for the 2 Hub frequencies (2.4GHz & 5GHz). Please make them different to one another, even if you just put 24 or 5 respectively at the end of the existing names.

• On a connected PC or laptop, type 192.168.0.1 into your browser and navigate to the Hub's login page.
  • Login with the default username and password as detailed on the information label on the Hub itself (if you've previously changed this info please use that instead).
  • Click on Advanced Settings on the left
  • Then Wireless
  • Then Security
  • Put a new name in the box next to WiFi network Name (SSID) beneath Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz
  • Put a different new name in the box next to WiFi network Name (SSID) beneath Wireless Frequency 5GHz
  • Click on Apply Changes
  • Reboot your printer and connect to the 2.4GHz

Let me know if that helps or not. If the result is not positive we'll see what else we can try.

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
GKC17
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am having this same problem and have tried renaming and connecting to the 2G etc.  It has not resolved the problem, which is a major inconvenience and source of annoyance.  Does anyone have any other solutions please?  My printer is a Brother MFC-J870DW which I have owned for several years. I didn't have the problem with the previous provider.

0 Kudos