Menu
BB_Down
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Prepare for lifestyle changes with unfit for purpose Super Hub 3.0

May: Ace kit, measured reliability, better faster option & Supported by Ofcom, Virgin own the entire network to your home which means we can measure the reliability of your connection

Link to ace kit

June: Joined Virgin

July: No Issues

Aug: No Issues

Sept: Intermittent Broadband / WIFI Issues

Oct: Price rise above inflation

Oct: Went to cancel as Intermittent Broadband Issues were becoming more frequent and with the additional price increase was in breach of contract, also above the rate of inflation but was persuaded to accept a refund for loss off services as upgrading of cabinets was in progress from Sept till the end of November from a UK accent representative

Nov: Called Virgin to clarify that upgrades to services had been completed as was suffering still with issues but given confirmation upgrades had been completed and there should be no issues

Dec: Broadband/WIFI frequent outage up to7 to 8 times a day

Jan: Sibling left home to live with family as they have a reliable and stable connection so he could achieve academic purposes with associated falling out with the mrs.

After a bit of research, purchased and linked a TP-Link C9 (not cheap) by wire to the Super Hub 3.0 in modem mode as thinking there must of been issues with the wifi capabilities from the super hub 3.0 but alas, connection dropped even more often.

As we felt dismissed by Virgin for my out of turn grievance with connectivity issues in telephone conversations, sought to discover ways to substantiate as felt fobbed off and found  My Virgin Media Status

The page stipulates by default that apparently there are no issues with broadband but when you log in and initiate the test, the result in my case was 'We're trying to sort it out for you, in about 10 minutes we should have finished, so take a break and then restart your equipment and check to see if all is well. if there is still a problem , get in touch 150

Test 1 3:22pm 15 Jan 'We're trying to sort it out for you, in about 10'

Test 2 4:21pm 15 Jan 'We're trying to sort it out for you, in about 10'

Test 3 6:10pm 15 Jan 'We're trying to sort it out for you, in about 10'

Test 4 10:23pm 15 Jan 'We can't run a test for you right now'

Be advised the test is limited to 3 per day but is quicker with results rather than a hard to understand Virgin represented script, we shall restart and run a test and change a channel

Present: Spoke to a foreign accent this evening representing Virgin that would/could not confirm when asked (more than 8 times)to check logs on how many times in the last 24 hours the service had dropped, with the repeated reply being 'system shows there are no issues presently'

Then after 45 minutes after the will to live drained from me then followed the instruction to reboot to factory settings

Hardware version

: 10

Software version

: 9.1.116V

The Router status is limited with the Router Status Network Log but peppered daily with the below as I'm sure I am not alone.

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC

RCS Partial Service

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out

Ranging Request Retries exhausted

Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync

In Summary

I did trust the Virgin brand but it's alliance with Arris group inc SH3 evidently has had a detrimental effect with confidence for Virgin.

And I have undergone a change of lifestyle with family fall outs because of broadband/wifi and to delve into the world of IT to find out why a service is not working as it should as Virgin tech support only consider outage when on the phone and in denial with all other outages.

My question is from a quality management perspective: Does Virgin have any visibility of any outage, dropped/loss of cable service without the customer reporting it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prepare for lifestyle changes with unfit for purpose Super Hub 3.0

BB_Down wrote:

May: Ace kit, measured reliability, better faster option & Supported by Ofcom, Virgin own the entire network to your home which means we can measure the reliability of your connection

<snip>

My question is from a quality management perspective: Does Virgin have any visibility of any outage, dropped/loss of cable service without the customer reporting it?

Largely, no. They can "see" some faults their side. But an individual HUB dropping off the network, even if it is repeatedly, does not get flagged up. You have spoken to first line support by the sound of things. They will look up teh system to see if there is a current service fault in your area. They will take you through some simple diagnostics. But for more complex problems, you want UK onshore support or here.

Judging by your post your in an area suffering from overutilisation. Have you got a fault reference? (usually referred to as an F number). If so you can claim partial service credit. But it will take a LONG time for the issue to be fixed (thinks months, years, not weeks) and any current "fix" date issued by 1st line support is likely to be , in reality a "review" date.

0 Kudos
BB_Down
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks with your reply and I would agree with you sir as mentioned with individual hubs dropping but this is area 20 that is not a singular issue.

Having endured the lip service paid by customer services from Eastern climates with assurances of better services once the 3 months of cabinet upgrades were complete (Sept 16 to Nov 16) and would be refunded due to lack of service was at the time bearable with light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

However, having given up trying to watch catch ups on the TV service back in September  the intermittent speeds and more importantly unacceptable multiple drops per day in broadband service continue.  

I have gleaned from this forum that Area 20 suffers from the same issues of unreliability with broadband service and probably TV services also, which may be explains why there has not been an Engineer dispatched to investigate the issues.

A question I would prefer a VM representative to respond to

If VM was faced with having to lease a racing car for a team from a company that boasted a reliable capable top speed that far from achieved that speed and suffered complete power loss multiple times every lap over 30 laps in a race consistently and put the lease price up after 3 races, would it be acceptable or reasonable grounds to break contract without penalty?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Evening BB_Down,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community.

My apologies that you are having issues with your broadband connection. I can imagine how frustrating this must be and I would like to help as much as possible.

I checked your connection for any issues and the line/hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the network segment is running stable, which is good.

The Hub 3 is showing as being used in router mode, have you disconnected your TP-Link by any chance?

In regards to the disconnections, are you able to re-post the network log for us to look over please?

You can also create a Broadband Quality Monitor as this will check the performance of the broadband. If you do create a BQM you will need to disable the firewall within the router.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BB_Down
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Sam

Your company seems to detract, theirs no problem ¬ 

0 Kudos
BB_Down
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Intended for the frustrated

The link My Virgin Media Status did at once upon time did run an automatic test with the account holders press of a button request and if there was a problem was discovered and indicated with service status shown below 

Screenshot_20170121-135436.png

And sometimes the test indicated my equipment was turned off, when in fact it was turned on?

For the frustrated:

If your 150 is greeted by a foreign accent, hang up pronto unless you wish to waste your time with a scripted mind numbing, ' whats yours hub lights flashing, we'll channel change or then lets perform a factory reset'

After many 150 calls ensure you, 1. Be polite. 2. Ensure you get a reference name or number with time & date of complaint.

Note:  3 (phoned) registered complaints then necessitates an engineer call out and if the issue is not resolved after the visit is then considered a breach of contract and the consumer is free to leave service without penalty.

In summery, call with any complaint within UK business hours to receive the the best response to any issues.

Good luck

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Images removed (contains account numbers), please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
BB_Down
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Addenda

8 months into 18 month contract, an engineer was dispatched.

Broadband reliability restored as due to green box connection error.

Apparently, home external boxes further away from the green box on the street requires the green box physical cable connection to be linked higher on the bank with position 1 as being furthest away but, the same issue would occur to the nearest home external if connected on 1 on the bank as the strength is too strong.

Wireless channels being different and unrelated on a router (hub) being 1 to 14 for 2.4 GHz for mobiles ect and 5 GHz 34 to 50 for computers ect is governed by the external physical connection of which mine is now stable after engineer intervention, yay!

Alas not as per contracted speed, but as per monthly reduction in effect will remain with Virgin Media.

200 Meg200 Meg 

Screenshot_20170131-000945.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread with this information BB_Down,

Sorry to hear that the speeds aren't great for you still.

I am unable to locate your account at the moment but I am more than happy to check this over from our end for you if you'd like?

I've sent you a private message for us to chat about this some more.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos