Menu
texasholdem
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Powerline TPLINK virgin help

Hi i live in a 1850s house which severely limits the wifi signal. 

I have a virgin 3 superhub the latest one and the alleged fastest wifi speed possible for the area 150mbps... the wifi signal is poor unless you are right next to the router.

I have bought 4 of the tplink av 500 powerline extenders. They are at best temperamental . 

I have them set up all on the same channel as the virgin wifi channel. I am not sure quite what settings i should have but essentially use the ones that are preloaded and then change the channels. 

All have the same ssid name and password etc.. but they often drop.

I use an amazon firestick, 2 iphone 6 a laptop and one internet radio unit.

I often will be browsing on my phone and have to go into airplane mode etc to reget on the internet on the phone.

my amazon firestick is right next to the router but still will buffer like mad at times. 

Does anyone have any better options for getting wifi around the house and or any idea what settings are optimal on the tplink av 500 settings? 

thanks

0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerline TPLINK virgin help

What connection speed do you get with a wired connection at the router?
If you connect a laptop to the router by ethernet you can use the TP Link Utility (download from their website). What connection speeds do you see in the TP Link Utility between the "home" adapter and the remote adapters? The speed will be impacted by the quality of the electrical wiring in your house. You should see at least 100Mbps on each link.
If your firestick is next to the router it will be using the wifi from the SHub (so not impacted by the powerline adapters or their settings).
Personally I would set up the remote adapters with different SSIDs (eg VMSSID1, VMSSID2 etc and the same password) and different channels while sorting things out. Use a phone with the speed test app to measure the wifi download speed at the router and at each of the remote adapters (using the different SSIDs to ensure you know which signal the phone is receiving).
This will let you see the real situation and you can start to optimise the connections from there on.
0 Kudos
texasholdem
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it varies my virgin thru ethernet sometimes is like 170 others can be as low as 17 mbps.

speed net on my phone can vary between 3mpbs and 140 odd.

when i check the tp link management tool it has normally around 75-100 mps between each link. I get a diagram with the 3 adapters feeding off the main sort of ethernet connected adapter.

Why would you give them different ssids? This would lead to my phone trying to stay connected to a weak signal when there is potentially a stronger powerline adapter to feed off? My phones doesnt seem to go to the strongest wifi signal it stays with the most recent one it has been attached to.

I keep reading that the main powerline thing needs to be in a wall socket mine is not its a sort of flexi extension as its the only place near enough to my modem...my superhub modem is plugged into the same place... does this lead to a big issue? Is there any hacks for that?

thanks in advance and thanks for the previous reply

cheers
0 Kudos
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I use different SSIDs at home and an app called wifly which will automatically switch the mobiles to the strongest signal. However I was more suggesting different SSIDs for testing purposes to be able to see which adapter you are connected to.

Direct connection of the adapter to a wall socket is highly recommended (apparently). You can get adapters with a  built in pass through socket which would allow you to plug the adapter into the wall socket and the router or extension block into the adapter. 

75-100Mbps home to remote is decent, so not too sure what more to suggest. I'll have a think and let you know if I come up with anything.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If your using the same SSID all over your network then you must use different channels on each WiFi access point. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos