Menu
Sakotius
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Adaptor has Constant Drop Outs

Hello There

I have been using both the Netgear AV500's, and have recently changed to the TP-LINK AV1200's (as I thought it was my Powerline Adapters at fault). Since I have been on Powerline, I have been getting connection drop outs from my Powerline Adapters every day. It's been a hellish nightmare, and I'm wondering if there is any way you can help me. A little more info for you all

Powerline Adapters are plugged directly into the wall, and not into an extension cable. I have the Superhub 2ac. The Powerline Adapters still show green lights when the connection drops. Other wired devices (Sky, SmartTV) still work. Wireless remains connected during drop outs for the Powerline Adapters. Superhub is downstairs with the first Powerline Adapter, with the second being upstairs. Can't directly connect ethernet to PC, as it's a Desktop, and I cannot thread a wire through the house. Not just PC that cuts out. Tested on 2 computers, and 2 PS4s. All cut off together. Logs on SH look clean, nothing to suggest an interruption.

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. If you have any knowledge of this issue, I'd love to know. I'm going out of my mind with this thing! Is my Hub faulty? Is the Superhub 2ac known for this? Should I get a router, and pop the SH into Modem mode? Shall I contact VM to move the Superhub into the computer room? All these are possible answers.

If you need any more info, i'd be more than happy to provide it.

Thanks in Advance,

-Daniel

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sakotius
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Powerline Adaptor has Constant Drop Outs

Hello there

Turns out it WAS the Superhub, as I got an Asus router, and ALL issues from dropping have been fixed.

Thanks,

-Daniel

All Replies
Sakotius
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can I get a reply from a staff member please?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sakotius wrote:

Can I get a reply from a staff member please?

As VM support are currently having enough trouble supporting their own equipment/services it's highly unlikely, and VM do not provide support for 3rd. party equipment. (They may try to suggest you sign up to Gadget Rescue, the "one stop shop for all your technical needs" instead. DON'T! This service is not worth your sanity.)

It's better if, in the first instance you contact the manufacturer of your Powerline Adapter for assistance.

As a suggested first point of call, are your adapters plugged into the same mains ring within your internal wiring? If not, try to ensure they are. How do you do that? Your fusebox/circuit breaker can help there Smiley Wink

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Sakotius
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sololobo

As I said, the Powerline Adapters are not the issue. I've had multiple pairs now, and they all do the same thing. Seems to me that the Superhub 2ac is just crap in general, as multiple people have issues similar to mine with it. I had next to no issues with the Superhub 1 back in the day with this. I think I'm going to have to either hire a professional to thread an Ethernet through the ceiling/floor, or buy an £85 router from Asus. Either way, money down the drain :L

Thanks
-Daniel
0 Kudos
inkyhand
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm having exactly the same problem with my powerline adapters dropping connection for a few seconds then reconnecting, but it's also happening on my wired desktop connection.

My powerline adapters are tp-link pa411 and in the utility you can see the connection drop.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Daniel

You say in your original post that devices that are connected to the hub directly via Ethernet or wireless are not dropping the connection, only devices connected via the power line adapters.  That does not sound like a hub fault, if it was I would expect all devices to experience drop outs.

As you have tried different pairs to rule out a fault with the adapters then it suggests an issue with the wiring in your house.  Improper wiring and circuit breakers can negatively affect power line adapters.  Also power line adapter performance can be degraded by the noise that certain home appliances generate in the power grid. Examples of these appliances include motorized devices (fans, vacuum cleaners, washer and dryers), switch power supplies (AC-to-DC converter used in phone chargers), and fluorescent lamps.

Sakotius
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello there

Turns out it WAS the Superhub, as I got an Asus router, and ALL issues from dropping have been fixed.

Thanks,

-Daniel

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sakotius wrote:

Hello there

Thanks,

-Daniel

Possibly and then perhaps not:  but otherwise great news Dan - now we need the the more intelligent effort and the comparitive Wireshark pcap dumps so we can determine the optimisation required (probably) for your  domestic RCBM protected consumer unit rings and the SHub?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
shrek288
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi All ,

I have a very similar issue .

I have my Superhub in modem mode feeding a  TP-LINK TL-WR841N

and Everything goes through the router. 

Up to 4 PC's depending if the kids are online. X box 360, PS4 and umpteen mobile phones. 

The X- box and 2 x PC's are TP power adaptor linked, the 3rd is Ethernet direct to the router and the 4th is wireless.

I lose the Internet on multiple units. Thinking it might be the power adaptors i have a usb wireless connection on the main pc to double up the connection and it even loses that too.

i have a profile on "thinkbroadband" so i can double check whether Virgin are having issues and there is generally very few quality issues.

When we lose the internet connection our home network is fine i can connect to everything with no problems . But diagnostics reply back there's an issue with the gateway isp...... I don't tend to lose the x-box just tends to be the PC's and phones. 

I don't think its the router as ive had multiple issues with the HUB over the years and with different routers (link Sys, Netgear, and dlink in the past. )

before putting into MODEM mode and using power adaptors.

Just looking for some clarity, can anyone point to whether its the HUB causing the issues or the Router. 

Cheers  SHREK288

0 Kudos
timl31
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just adding to the thread that I'm seeing similar issues with my Powerline connections dropping out three or four times a day, for anything between 30 seconds and a couple of minutes.  I saw this first with a Netgear AV500 and have just switched to a TP-LINK AV1200 to see if that would resolve the issue.  The AV1200 seems to recover quicker but still suffers from the disconnects.  I connect my PC to the AV1200 extender via Ethernet.  I can sometimes force a quicker recovery if I disable and enable the PC's Ethernet adapter.  I'm running Windows 10 now but saw the same issues with Windows 8.1

Any updates to this problem would be gratefully received, or if there is any logging I can do that may show the underlying cause for someone to look at I'd be happy to run something.

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos