Menu
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Adapters

I currently use 4 of these around the house and work great but I bought these and have been using them for about 10/12 years and there old, question is do I replace them with newer models or is it a case of it ain't broke don't fix it?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Powerline Adapters

The obvious potential advantages of the new powerline adaptors is that they now come with the 5GHz band and ac technology on that band, plus they are capable of faster throughput than you old ones.  If you have devices capable of making use of that technology then it may well be worth upgrading.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The obvious potential advantages of the new powerline adaptors is that they now come with the 5GHz band and ac technology on that band, plus they are capable of faster throughput than you old ones.  If you have devices capable of making use of that technology then it may well be worth upgrading.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanx Dave, time too go shopping for new ones.
0 Kudos
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OMG when I bought mine all those years ago there was not really a choice as they were not really heard off or used geeez so many, any recommendations Dave of what an which too have a look at?
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

no sense in buying newer + faster unless you actually have a need for faster. if all you want to do is stream Netflix etc then what you have is probably fine, and probably already faster than wifi

and there are some reports  the newer,  faster ones are not as reliable so read the reviews carefully bfore committing to an upgrade

anything from av200 thru to ACAV2000 is supposed to be interoperable, so in theory you can mix and match old and new, though obviously that cannot make the older ones go any faster.

0 Kudos
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

More the newer tech that's in new ones I was hoping too have use of, with 3 PCs, 2 PS4s, 4 Smart TVs, TiVo box and 3 iPad Air 2s, 3 IPhones, 3 Apple TVs and everything but my main PC and the iPad and iPhones are plugged into 3 exsisting powerline adapters on 2 unmanaged hubs running from 2 of the powerline adapters which give me a consistent 45/50mb speed. This I was hoping too improve on with newer tech and the fact I am considering the new VM V6 box which had me started too question things an if I should upgrade certain things or not.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you probably have a case then but think about your average and maximum throughput i.e. how mush simultaneous usage is made of all that stuff.

avoid the " value chip" options which are not intended for multi-streaming

.Solwise is the make I know best and they have 3 different chipsets

http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-chipsets.htm

their support , both pre& post sale is good. - you could send them your configuration & ask for their recommendations

0 Kudos