Menu
Morrisey15
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Possible to have a seperate 2g and 5g channel.

My old SuperHub 2ac had 2 wifi channels, the 2g and the 5g so it was possible to change from the 5g network to the 2g network if need be. I now have the SuperHub 3 but this only has 1 channel which is both, but i'd prefer to have separate ones. Is there any way to change it so that it could be like the superhub 2ac?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Possible to have a seperate 2g and 5g channel.

Yes, you can do this by logging in to the Hub 3.0 at 192.168.0.1, using the settings password from the label on the hub.

Once logged in, go to Advance Settings, then Wireless, then Security. Simply change the name of the 5GHz SSID by perhaps adding a -5 to the end of VMxxxxxx.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, you can do this by logging in to the Hub 3.0 at 192.168.0.1, using the settings password from the label on the hub.

Once logged in, go to Advance Settings, then Wireless, then Security. Simply change the name of the 5GHz SSID by perhaps adding a -5 to the end of VMxxxxxx.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have never fully understood how devices choose a channel wien the 2.4 and 5 are both there under the same name.

do they somehow intermittently test to see which is still best, or do they pick one at random then stay on it forever?

for example the 5.0 channel may be fastest while close to hub , but walk away and the 2.4 becomes the stronger/ better option once you have a couple of walls in the way. it's a big ask for the smart phone or whatever to be on top of that changing situation?

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think it's just random based on which network the device detects first. An average device will hold on the whichever signal it connects to for as long as possible, even if it becomes weak and the other band is stronger.

Some of the high-end ASUS routers have a "smart connect" feature which analyses the amount of traffic and signal strength on each WiFi band and directs devices to the best one, but I doubt the Hub3 does this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The client should connect to the strongest signal.

The 802.11k standard allows the client to request a Neighbour Report from the Access Point which it can receive information about other potential Access Points for client re-association.  The 802.11r  standard if supported can decrease the time that a client re-associates

The smart connect feature looks interesting, it would be interesting to find out how that works as traditionally roaming decisions are made by the client. My Asus AC53 Wifi dongle allows me to set the roaming preference to bandwidth or distance, so selecting the bandwidth option should give me the fastest AP (in theory)  I would imagine other wireless adapters might have the same feature.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

a lot of "shoulds" there.

in practical terms a new to VM customer gets a new hub 3 - finds the password sticker on the base and feeds it to their new-ish apple or android smart phone, then goes wandering about the house. expecting decent wifi everywhere [ ok so this is  a thought experiment, not real life Smiley Happy ]

what band will it connect on and will that change as the phone is taken to different rooms.

I don't wander about much with my tablets etc but I do know that as soon as there is a wall or ceiling in the path, then the 2.4 band is better than the 5. (whereas close up, the opposite is true) . i have differently named bands.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

griffin wrote:

The client should connect to the strongest signal.

The 802.11k standard allows the client to request a Neighbour Report from the Access Point which it can receive information about other potential Access Points for client re-association.  The 802.11r  standard if supported can decrease the time that a client re-associates

The smart connect feature looks interesting, it would be interesting to find out how that works as traditionally roaming decisions are made by the client. My Asus AC53 Wifi dongle allows me to set the roaming preference to bandwidth or distance, so selecting the bandwidth option should give me the fastest AP (in theory)  I would imagine other wireless adapters might have the same feature.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/32653-asus-rt-ac3200-smart-connect-the-missi...

Here are some details about smart connect, it's complicated but you can set rules based on signal strength, traffic levels and other factors.