Menu
davidc123
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Port forwarding still works after switching router?

I'm not sure how this is working but i had some external ports mapped to devices on internal ip's, and I've just upgraded to hub 3.0 and somehow port forwarding is still working despite having none setup in the new router.

The devices are even on totally different internal ip's but somehow the external ports are still mapped to the same devices.

Can anyone explain what's happening here? I thought port forwarding was a feature of the router and it is forwarding traffic based on the configured rules. So how is my new hub able to forward the same ports to the same devices, even though it has no configured rules and the devices are on different internal ip's?

Thanks
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Port forwarding still works after switching router?

UNPNP is the answer.

Largely port forwarding SHOULD be redundant at this point. Devices should talk to the router and say "I need these ports, open them" and the router should go "yeah that's fine"

HUB3 has a MUCH better implementation of UNPNP , so mostly it just works. Thats the plus side.

The down side is if you do need to change stuff , good luck with that as the GUI is a complete mare.

AT this point I would throw in the old adage "if it aint broke dont fix it"

As a beta tester my worst experience of HUB3 was when I tried to  to transfer my SH2AC rules over and it just went "NAH!"

SO one factory reset and one resisting temptation to mess with it after, everything was good.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

UNPNP is the answer.

Largely port forwarding SHOULD be redundant at this point. Devices should talk to the router and say "I need these ports, open them" and the router should go "yeah that's fine"

HUB3 has a MUCH better implementation of UNPNP , so mostly it just works. Thats the plus side.

The down side is if you do need to change stuff , good luck with that as the GUI is a complete mare.

AT this point I would throw in the old adage "if it aint broke dont fix it"

As a beta tester my worst experience of HUB3 was when I tried to  to transfer my SH2AC rules over and it just went "NAH!"

SO one factory reset and one resisting temptation to mess with it after, everything was good.

davidc123
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes that explains it, it appears that i had already configured upnp for these devices to use the same external ports as we're being forwarded previously (i could never get upnp working with the last hub so gave up and configured port forwarding). I guess this means i don't need to configure dhcp leases anymore either

Thanks for the help
David
0 Kudos