Menu
jorginator
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Port forwarding of port 53??

I run an little name server for my domain and stuff - and I have just been upgraded to a new virgin media HUB3...

But this does not allow me to add port forwarding  for port 53???? (the previous one did): The new HUB3 just errors with out

"The configured port range cannot contain one of the following reserved ports"  (and there is no list of ports following that).

So the error message is basically useless.

Short of hacking around with the backed-up-config, how do I forward port 53? There is no reason for the router itself to take that...

0 Kudos
jorginator
Joining in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port forwarding of port 53??

Well - I *did* end up hacking the backup file, as the UI does not allow this.

The backup file is a line-by-line base64-encoded file (no: they didn't encode the file as a whole, but encoded each line individually !??), which contains something that attempts to resemble XML, where the XML data for port forwarding is a weird ASN notation (which makes the file invalid XML, so they can't have used the normal XML parsers either).  In short, the file format itself with worthy of www.thedailywtf.com ....  it will even break if your admin password has weird characters like semicolons or bits of XML in it!!

I managed to write a couple of shell scripts which will decode / encode the files and generate the config I want - and it loads OK - if somebody else has the same problem, I'm happy to share the scripts upon request : drop me an email at ############.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos