Menu
Highlighted
DantheMan77
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Port availability in modem mode

I have SuperHub3 in modem mode with a wireless router attached.

The wireless router is in the lounge and the Superhub is in the study.  The study is so like a Faraday cage that I cannot see the wireless signal from there but would be happy to connect on a wire.

I had hoped the Superhub3 ports would all be active and operating as an Ethernet hub but that does not seem to be so.  Do I need to buy a layer2 hub and insert it in the study between the wireless router and the one active Superhub3 port?  This is messy really but will it work?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Port availability in modem mode

you need to run a network cable from your own router back into the room you want. Putting a switch between the SH in modem mode and your router will not work.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you need to run a network cable from your own router back into the room you want. Putting a switch between the SH in modem mode and your router will not work.
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Put the router in the study with the hub and in the lounge connect a wireless AP and switch if needed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You could put the hub back into router mode and enable access point mode on the router, what router do you have, if you want to leave hub in modem mode best to to do hub —-> router —-> layer 2 switch or could get a layer3
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
DantheMan77
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you for your helpful comments.

In my normal mode, I have SH3 in the study with an (old) Netgear 802.1g access point in the lounge (which I need because I the SH3 signal doesn’t exit the study).

I want to upgrade to a newer 802.1ac access point *and* be able to provide a separate, guest WLAN.  This means (I think) that I have to change the SH3 to modem mode.

As an initial experiment, I put the old Netgear 802.1g in router mode and the SH3 in modem mode.  At this point I realised I had no connectivity (wired or wireless) in the study.

If I get a shiny, new 802.1ac router in the study and connect it to the SH3 in modem mode, will I then need two access points in the lounge – one for guest and one for family or can a single access point extend both WLANs?  Or does the answer depend on the type of shiny new router I actually buy?  Or is there a better way of doing this?

0 Kudos
DantheMan77
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I assume then that the protocol between router and SH modem is not actually Ethernet at all. Hence no chance of breaking in at that point.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

most decent 802.1ac router will be able to do guest modes for wireless, you could re-use the older hardware just put it on different channel from the router so avoid possible signal drops, also best to have the wireless name and pasphrase on the router/access point this will allow for roaming without need to disconnect/reconnect to separate networks.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
DantheMan77
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I understand the 802.1ac router will give me guest and family WLAN in the study.  I am not sure how best to propagate these signals to the rest of the house.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You could put the older access point (wired to router) to help cover black spots
0 Kudos