Menu
fatlab
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Poor speed with SH3 in Modem Mode with Asus RT-AC87U Router

Hi,

I had the Vivid 200 Gamer package activated yesterday with a Super Hub 3 and was able to get throughput of 202 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up connecting wirelessly to the Super Hub. As I need a fairly complicated home network I set the SH3 into Modem Mode and connected my Asus RT-AC87U's WAN port to Port 4 on the SH3. The Asus router has the wan setting to Automatic and is getting a wan address but the performance is a quarter of what I can get when using the SH3 as the router.

Both wired and wireless speed tests give around 50 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. I know the router is capable of 200 Mbps+ throughput as my current BT Infinity line maxes out at 72 Mbps and 14 Mbps up.

Any suggestions on why performance is so slow when in Modem Mode?

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speed with SH3 in Modem Mode with Asus RT-AC87U Router

I have a similar setup (RT-AC68U) and 200 meg is always there.

So maybe a belt & braces approach would help. That means connecting any single wired device to the Hub 3 in modem mode (needs a modem reboot with the device connected) and testing the spped.

If you get full speed, then it's a router setting getting in the way and we'll have to investigate further. So one step at a time - I hope you agree.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
fatlab
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor speed with SH3 in Modem Mode with Asus RT-AC87U Router

Thanks for the quick response. I've the Merlin firmware loaded and can see that the wan port is negotiating a 1000 Mbps full duplex connection. I did a factory reset of the merlin firmware back to a 192.168.1.x address pool but it still wouldn't top 60 Mbps.
I have had s bit of a break through connecting the ASUS wan port to the SH3 port 4 but leaving it in Router mode. A 5ghz wifi connection to the ASUS AC87 ran a speed test at full speed (220/22). Only down side is that the AC87 thinks the external up address is 192.168.0.1.

I've also checked that all QoS, traffic monitoring and logging is off as I thought I'd artificially limited the throughput with a manual QoS setting but that wasn't the case.

The AC87 is set to an IP address of 10.1.1.252 and is assigning addresses in the range 10.1.1.30 to 10.1.1.100. Router horsepower shouldn't be an issue as it's never gone over 30% on both cores even under heavy use so I'm hoping I can still use the 10.1.1.x scheme with the SH3 on 192.168.100.1 in Modem mode.

Dave
0 Kudos